Knoppix 3.4 Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corsica

Beta member
Hello there,

Does anyone know in detailed and accurate steps, how to install Knoppix 3.4 onto a hard drive, considering it's primarily designed to be run from CD. If you could give a detailed answer..including how to Partition the hard drive....

I'm running Win XP Home Edit, with > 80 GB hard drive. 3.06gHz.

It would be great if you knew how to make it that you choose betwee XP and Knoppix everytime you turn on the computer.

Regards.

You need to repartition the drive, it needs a small linux partition, a 128-256mb linux swap partition also.

I think there's a install to HD script included with knoppix, check their site.

You will need to install a bootloader like grub or LILO or make a boot disk as well so you can choose which OS at boot time.

Thanks for your response.

the Bootdisk you're talking about - Is it going to be a CD? Or Diskette? And the repartitioning, will that be in Windows? How will I tell Knoppix to take this partition....?,

OR

As someone new to Linux, which distribution would you recommend I get, which is made to be booted fromt he hard drive, and also has a fairly good GUI like Knoppix, and has the usual root shells, port scanners,....

Thanks.

Any of them really, the easiest from an automated install point of view are :Mandrake, redhat or fedora, and Suse.There's quite a few, debian and slackware are pretty popular too.Slackware is usually used by those with some linux experience cause although the install is very straight forward, some prior knowledge of linux and PC's is most helpful.

The bootdisk can be any bootable medium, cdrom or floppy for example.usually the bootloader is put on the master boot record or first partition of the first hard drive, but it can be on a CD or floppy as well.

all the different versions of Linux can run ANY GUI, some come with one or 2 choices, some come with 6 or 7.The easiest to work with for most newbies are gnome and KDE, both are very windows like.KDE comes with a whole host of software from office apps to media apps and some basic games.Gnome has quite a few as well.Depends on your system, the nore involved the GUI the more resources it uses, a pentium 100 will happily run a basic GUI but will choke on KDE for example.

The shells are common to all linux versions, most come with 2 or 3, some have more than that.The most common is BASH or bourne again shell, the C shell or tcsh is pretty common and the default under mac OS X, there's also the z shell and korn shells.Lots of choices to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom