kernel panic

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccer05guy

Solid State Member
ok i am trying to install mandrake 10 onto my gateway with a AMD 951 mhz western dig. 40 g hard drive. 302mb RAM. when i try to install and i press enter my screen goes blank. so i reboot and do F1 and i have tryed every single mode possable the text, alt0 and alt1 modes. but when i do the text mode i get a "unable to handle kernel request at virtual address BFCFDCC7" kernel panic. i have tryed installing it on a different computer and it starts installing fine no problem, so its not the CD. and i also tryed booting with my knoppix live cd and that doesnt boot. It has to be some other peace of hardware. please help.

Bad memory more than likely, or some kind of other basic harware issue for sure.......very tough to diagnose Im afraid, two different OS's not booting definitely means something is seriously wrong

Hey, try removing 1 bank of ram one at a time and check if it works 302mb ram, what combo is that? 2x128 is 256 leaving 46mb to get 302mb

that thing has some kind of issue somewhere, w/o having it in front of me I havent a clue

As I keep looking into problems others are having there are people saying it is somehting like "shadow BIOS settings for the memory that I disabled" does anyone know what that is? maybe thats the problem.

go into the bios and select default settings and save and see what happens

post more info about your motherboard and bios settings and hardware in general would help alot, cant help without info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom