Kali Linux OS

QU to Mods - So are we allowed to discuss projects on kali here (for educational purposes)? I never mention it as I'm not sure if you guys prefer this forum not to turn into an advice site.... :cool:

Last edited:
As long discussion and assistance is made in a pointedly legal and ethical fashion, ensuring that there's a focus on avoiding pitfalls, then there won't be any rules broken.

As long discussion and assistance is made in a pointedly legal and ethical fashion, ensuring that there's a focus on avoiding pitfalls, then there won't be any rules broken.

Pretty much this. It's kind of a gray area...but it's usually just watched on a thread-by-thread basis.

Spud, do me a favour and run your specific plans by me before going ahead with any attacks, as there are legal pitfalls you can run into even when performing approved and entirely ethical hacking.

^ This. For example, even if your father owns his own website and gives you written permission to do some white-hat penetration testing, it could still be illegal if he using a third-party hosting company for his website, as they technically own the infrastructure his website is on.

--Brad

An alternative is to just create your own site. Or, if you can access dad's site, you can make a copy and host it internally - it doesn't need to be on the internet. You could even throw it on a VM or, if you want something physical, you can get a Raspberry Pi for pretty cheap.

In fact, I'd probably go that route, first. If that website is actually used for business then I would be hesitant about messing around with it if I didn't fully understand what I was doing.

Spud, as someone who has screwed with Kali before, and done ****loads of VM testing, trust me when I say you really don't want to mess with a legitimate site, especially if it's hosted on someone elses hardware. Like the mods have mentioned above, there are a ton of legal issues that come with things like Kali, and they MUST BE USED CAREFULLY. Secondly, if you screw up, you can easily wipe out an entire website (If it's got a particularly bad vulnerability). I recommend what the people above me have mentioned, download the sites HTML files, and run it on a Rasperry Pi or a VM if need be. Then go nuts. Avoid actual running sites though.

-Luke

Back
Top Bottom