Just had a bad Beryl experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Indeed.
About a half an hour ago I noticed in Synaptic that Beryl was upgradeable, so I went ahead and installed it, then forgot about it. A few minutes later I right-clicked on the Beryl Settings Manager icon to tweak something, and Beryl crashed and it loaded Metacity. I tried to put the window manager back to Beryl, but it didn't load and my windows had no borders. I quickly restarted X, but when it loaded Beryl was flickery and unresponsive, and my CPU usage was at 100%. I then uninstalled Beryl and all of its related packages, including XGL. I went over the how to I followed and reversed the process. I restarted X again, and X failed to start so I rebooted. Long story short, I am back to where I was before Beryl.

So where do you suggest I go from here? Metacity is lame, but XGL is not my favorite thing in the world. What about AIGLX? I don't really understand what half of this stuff is all about, I need some pointers.

Sorry for the rant-ish post, all of that probably wasn't necessary

If you install the Nvidia beta drivers found here then you don't need AIGLX or XGL, just install Beryl and you're off. I guess they have their own implementation of AIGLX and it works great. Only problem with the drivers is that some games get strange artifacts, you'll see them in ET. It looks like lightening or something. I've just stuck with Metacity now until these drivers are fixed and work with games normally.

Other than that, I haven't gotten Xorg 7.1's built-in AIGLX to work with the official drivers, and I don't even mess with XGL.

Okay, thanks for the info. Hopefully it wont be too long before they fix up the nvidia drivers, those sound pretty nice.

Metacity feels really weird, but I guess it's nice not having XGL screw with all of my programs and hog my CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom