Just another Linux noob asking questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
Okay, I know you get stupid questions like this every day and I'm kind of suprised my intuitive mind hasn't caught on to something that probably seems simple to you guys buuuuuuuut, I'm not quite sure how to install things. I mean, I know how to do it the noob way with
Code:
su apt-get install gtkpod
but apparently I need to COMPILE gtkpod with some other patch thing or something. What I'm trying to do is manage my iPod from Linux (one step closer to being independant from Windows)(and I hate iTunes to no limit)(I think iTunes hates me) I installed gtkpod last night and I couldn't copy an .mp4 version of this show. I searched for "mpeg gtkpod" or something like that and got this page.
Actually heres the sentence I read:
# Get the current CVS version of libgpod. Apply the following patch: libgpod_5g_video_ipod_support.patch. Compile and install libgpod.
# Get the current CVS version of gtkpod. Apply the following patch: gtkpod_5g_video_ipod_support.patch. Compile and install gtkpod.

1.) What is a CVS version?
2.) How do I apply a patch?
3.) How do I compile and install? (without apt)

I think with those questions answered, I should be able to get gtkpod running and copying .mpeg and .mp4 files to my iPod through Linux. :D
Thanks!

No one knows? Guess I'm not the only one hehe. I don't have access to my Windows computer right now at the moment, so I'm relient on Linux. Anyone know how to get my videos to my iPod? My iPod is using FAT32 partition formatting right now, btw. It's a 5th generation 30gb.

Download the tarball, unpack it, and cd to the directory:
Code:
./configure
And then do
Code:
make && make install

hmm.... well that worked for the program itself, but the problem is now i have this program that doesn't include the patch to put video files on the ipod >_< lol. atleast i learned something! i don't have to rely on the repositories (correct term?) lol. thanks anyway.
if someone knows how to apply this .patch file, feel free to speak up lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom