its installed now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

Daemon Poster
ok ubuntu has been install sucsessfully but. after i log in how do i get it so i can get the proper point and clik bit up i dont no any command? do i need 2 type sumting?

yep, first X needs configured if it isnt already

in linux the graphical part your used to is set up as a server-client and its modular, and its called X, several GUI or graphical user interfaces are available unlike windows, which run on top of X as clients.Most common ones are GNOME and KDE, both of which come with most of the software the average person will need.

first off, assuming your looking at a command line prompt(blank screen with a login prompt), try typing startx

if it comes back with an error, its not setup yet
As ROOT: (logged in as root)
type xorgconfig or xf86config, there's two X servers that most distro's use, not sure which one ubuntu uses

you can type part of a command then hit the tab key and it will fill in the rest for you, that way if im off on the syntax for those commands it will fill it in anyway, sometimes they are case sensitive, example may be XF86Config or xfree86config or xorgconfig, it varies

That will run you thru a set of questions about your mouse,keyboard, monitor, and video card........answer the questions and when thats done, try startx again, should be ok after that, if not, your xconfig prob isnt right or your graphics card isnt supported

dunno what window managers ubuntu has, may want to try typing xwmconfig and see if it has a simple little options program to choose one, may not, dont worry if it doesnt

after everything is up and working, you will need to setup a user account, you shouldnt run as root all the time, thats for system changes only, as root try adduser <username> or useradd <username> to set one up

ok i got to the part wen it says: root@mshome:`#

then i typed wat u recomended and they all sed that the command was unfound. :( hav n e other ideas i wana get 2 the part that has a graphic interface!

thanks for ur help :)

ok its probably named something a little different, thats why I said hit the tab key after the first few letters, ok do this:

type: ls /usr/X11/bin | more

scroll to near the bottom using the return key and look for something like xorgconfig or xorgsetup OR xf86config...........that directory is a listing of the executables of X, there will be a setup program in there, when you find the right one, type that in and run it

also have you tried their goofy website?

http://ubuntuguide.org/index.html

I looked thru it, I didnt see what your looking for, but I didnt look for very long, I did notice that you cant log into GNOME as root by default, which must be the default desktop, try startx or start gnome as a regular user

ubuntu isnt original, its based on debian, like so many of these linux offshoots it isnt original work, what theyve done vs what debian does I HAVE NO CLUE

This means your going to have to learn about debian AND ubuntu and eventually figure out what they did, ubuntu's help site looks fairly complete but theyve done some weird things

hey it uses XFREE86 for X, the Xconfigure program most likely will be XF86Config or XF86Configure, IF its needed, it may work by default, definitley log in as a regular user and try it first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom