Introducing the Google Chrome OS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is about Google's new OS which for better or for worse uses the linux kernel. This has nothing to do with Windows and very little to do with linux distributions. If there is any more talk not directly related to the subject at hand it will be deleted and you may get an infraction.

This thread is about Google's new OS which for better or for worse uses the linux kernel. This has nothing to do with Windows and very little to do with linux distributions. If there is any more talk not directly related to the subject at hand it will be deleted.

I will add my addendum to this:

Act like a troublemaker you will be treated like a troublemaker, if you intentionally try to spark a flame war I will prune this thread and infract any one involved.

I like the idea of Google bringing out and OS, I'm not sure if it will be able to compete with windows or mac but it's at least got the market share and the name sake to create a splash when it comes out if it's marketed correctly. I think one thing they can't do is market it as a *nix distro of sorts because that will scare off many many potential buyers. I think though that it will prove very valuble not necessarily as an OS, but as a door to a huge part of the market, unsatisfied with Windows and Mac OS's, into the world of linux.

Isn't google chrome based off a Linux system? and also, isn't it admittedly a challenge to windows?

meh, I'm still excited. I thought the Chrome browser was the shizz

I think it's sort of a challenge to Windows, not in the sense of we're challenging you for outright market control over os's, but more of a, you've been living in the past and your OS's reflect that, we're going to make a more updated and fresh OS that delivers what the people really need.

Google OS sounds a lot like one massive thin client.

If it's anything like a thin client, I have severe doubt. I recently got to see a crazy network setup that still failed under the load of thin client bandwidth. It honestly sounds like Google OS being web based is just that.

Granted, I might be wrong... I want to see it succeed, but based on what little I know, I have my doubt.

I think it's sort of a challenge to Windows, not in the sense of we're challenging you for outright market control over os's, but more of a, you've been living in the past and your OS's reflect that, we're going to make a more updated and fresh OS that delivers what the people really need.

nuf said.

im just saying, the opening paragraph of this very thread states that google is making this OS as a direct challenge to windows, and thats from an official google interview article is it not? Or was that an opinion mixed in with a report and not stated so?

srsly though windows is cool and everything but they have been living in the past. my friend is testing the google OS right now and he says its amazing however he still prefers to consistantly run windows at this time.

Actually the very first post of this thread WAS a opinion article and NOT the views of Google. The very first post comes from CNN. The 2nd post has the information from the Google Blog and they do not state anything of the sort about trying to compete with Microsoft.

Official Google Blog: Introducing the Google Chrome OS

Absolutely no where in that blog does it say anything about trying to compete with any other OS on the market. In fact it doesnt even Reference Windows, Any Linux Distro or OS X. The only reference at all to anything OS related is the fact that they think:

However, the operating systems that browsers run on were designed in an era where there was no web. So today, we're announcing a new project that's a natural extension of Google Chrome — the Google Chrome Operating System. It's our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be.

That is the only remark aimed at all at any OS from the official company blog. All other remarks are NOT from Google and represent that authors opinion, and not Google's.

So please do not base facts on what someone else is trying to compose out of this. People are trying to make this into a Microsoft Vs. Google fight. It isnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom