Installing new HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzjj

Daemon Poster
I want to add a new hard drive to my linux machine. It is running SuSE 9.2. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to how to install a new hard drive under linux. I'm kind of assuming you would have to mount it somewhere...

thanks

assuming your just adding a drive and not replacing the one in it, make a directory for it to be mounted to, then add a line to /etc/fstab so it gets mounted at boot time

also set the permissions for the directory it will be mounted on to suit your needs

Cool all done, i used SuSE's partitioning tool to do it all and it worked beautifully. It did however create a lost+found directory at the root of the disk, although i have seen these about in Linux i have never figured out what it is for. If i delete it will everything screw up?... basically what does the lost+found directory do? and does it need to be there?

Ok it seems that the lost+found directory is responsible for holding any recovered files found by fsck in the case of a system crash. Which brings up another question: I am using Ext3 which is journalled, so as far as i am aware there should never be any reason to run fsck since the file system should always be in a consistent state. Is my thinking correct here?

fsck will be run by default by linux, journaled or not, every so often, just cause its journaled doesnt mean it doesnt need checked every once in awhile, that way when parts of the disk start dying it can fix itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom