installing linux voids best buy black tie warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
Installing Linux voids warranty!

Geek Squad Wouldn't Honor My Netbook's Protection Plan
By Phil Villarreal on December 16, 2009 10:15 AM 19918 views

An anonymous reader said a Best Buy manager refused to replace his broken laptop and threw him out of the store twice when he tried to argue. The reader had even gone so far as to purchase an $80 extended warranty.

Thats why you NEVER go to Geek Squad, worst service ever. 4 years ago I told them my wireless video card was broke in my laptop, they said they could fix it and told me the cost, forgot what it was but it was high. And they had one in stock????? :crazy::omg:

That story does not surprise me.

I regularly go into best buy and make up stories about parts that don't exist and ask geek squad, and they never tell me I am full of **** or making it up..

They always say its not in stock or they could fix it..

I find it kind of interesting that Best Buy of all places would void a warranty from installing Linux, considering at one point Best Buy was boxing *buntu with all of the multimedia codecs and barfing them out at 20 a pop.

People can be so retarded. Wake up, everyone. Linux is an operating system. Period. It won't kill your computer. If anything - it'll help.

EDIT - I just read this part.

"Furthermore, he insisted that the touchpad and power adapter had been broken because I installed Linux."

What a ****ing idiot. I want to punch this guy in the face for being so stupid.

It's now too late in the night for me to read the linked article but by the sounds of it this is not a story of Linux vs Windows (and any flaming to that effect will be met with infractions) this is a story about the incompetence of Best Buy / Geek Squad employees or the ridiculous policies put in place by the "higher ups".

Wow. If an OS was causing a problem, it would definitely be Windows.
Why do people condemn Linux like this?
If you read the original article you will see that they restored Windows to still have the same issue. So it was strictly a hardware issue.

I read this and laughed for a long time. It is Geek Squad. They know less than nothing. you dont even need A+ to work for them. In fact i have been turned down to work for Geek Squad cause i had a A+ Cert. They do all training in house and it is less than stellar.

I read this and laughed for a long time. It is Geek Squad. They know less than nothing. you dont even need A+ to work for them. In fact i have been turned down to work for Geek Squad cause i had a A+ Cert. They do all training in house and it is less than stellar.

I'll agree that these people were not tech-savy...to say the least. I'm guessing the manager is trained to conduct business. It seems to me that they were trying to protect against fraud. I agree with philbar, too. They're ignorant in the sense that they don't have enough knowledge of systems or pay the money for expert advice.

They should know business, but i don't think this is a good business decision, either. They're taking a beating from the PR perspective. Businesses in the US should be very customer service oreinted. I think they should have taken the item back and refurbed it.

I'm straying from the resaon I wanted to make this post. I wanted to remind people that one bad apple spoils the bunch. I know several knowledgable techs working for the Geek Squad. However, these people are out in the field, not in the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom