Installing Linux as a second operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobT

Solid State Member
Hello all ... I am currently I a running XP Pro on an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with 2 Gigs of RAM and 750 Gigs on 3 hard drives. Could anyone please point me to a link that will tell me how to install Linux as a second operating system?

Thanks!!

Ubuntu is really easy to dual boot with. Here's the simple rundown of how to do it, assuming Windows XP or Windows 2000 installed on NTFS.

1) Download and burn the appropriate Ubuntu CD from Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

2) Defragment your Windows partition.

3) Reboot PC with Ubuntu CD inserted, make sure BIOS is set to boot from CDROM before HDD

4) Computer will boot Ubuntu in LiveCD mode. Once up and running, go to System -> Administration -> Partition Editor

5) Select NTFS partition, then resize it (the freed space will be for your Ubuntu installation, so size appropriately).

6) Don't make a Linux partition out of the free space, just close GParted.

7) Double click "Install" which is on the Desktop. Follow the instructions.

8) When it asks where to install, select "Largest Free Space" and if it asks, pick the drive you freed space on (hda is first drive, hdb is second for IDE, etc)

9) When it asks to import documents and settings, I'd just ignore it, you can always mount your Windows partition to read your documents, but you can import IE or Firefox favorites and such to your new Linux install.

10) Click Next, it will automatically format the free space as ext3 then copy system files. It will also install GRUB, a bootloader that lets you choose which OS to boot.

11) When done, restart the PC, remove the CD, and boot into your new Linux system, where you can begin configuring (graphics driver packages: nVidia GeForce: nvidia-glx ATi Radeon (new ones): fglrx). The new Restricted Drivers Manager will help you install your graphics and networking cards if they don't have open source drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom