Installing Droidcam 3.5.1 on Ubuntu 12.04

Anthony t

Beta member
Hi all. I am trying to download Droid cam 3.5.1 for use on Skype on my system running Ubuntu 3.5.1. It wouldn't be a problem except that I'm terrible with the terminal, and the instructions on the site to download Droidcam 3.5.1 (Dev47Apps » Linux) are definitely not for beginners. I have an open post on the Ubuntu Forums ([ubuntu] Droidcam 3.5.1 on ubuntu 12.04 - Ubuntu Forums) but no one has answered yet. I need the command that i can just copy and paste into the terminal to download and install Droidcam 3.5.1 or clear step by step beginner instructions on how to do so.

on my system running Ubuntu 3.5.1

Take that was a mistake, or your Ubuntu is really ancient. :lol:

The instructions look pretty straight forward to me. It has a bash file which will hit tremendously.

What part don't you get?

Agreed with MoM. The instructions are fairly straightforward, and since a bash file is included, all you have to do is execute that and it should help out..

Take that was a mistake, or your Ubuntu is really ancient. :lol:

The instructions look pretty straight forward to me. It has a bash file which will hit tremendously.

What part don't you get?

I am copying and pasting the commands into the terminal and when i get to the sudo ./install 320 240 part it gives me this "sudo: ./install: command not found". Note that this is after i put in the command "cd ~/Desktop" command. I am following the instructions to a tee and am getting nowhere. I tried running the install file in the extracted file directly. It seemed to run but it didn't install the program. I need something more than "follow the directions" cause iv been trying that for 2 days now

Ok, just ran it on my Linux install (10.04), and it installed fine. This is what I did:

Extracted the files from the tar.gz to my desktop, into a folder called "droidcam-x86". THen I opened up a terminal window, and did the following:

Code:
chase@chase-laptop:~$ cd Desktop
chase@chase-laptop:~/Desktop$ cd droidcam-x86
chase@chase-laptop:~/Desktop/droidcam-x86$ ls
droidcam  icon.png  install  README  webcam
chase@chase-laptop:~/Desktop/droidcam-x86$ sudo ./install 320 240
 -- INSTALL:  Building DrodCam v4l driver..
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-39-generic'
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1 modules
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-39-generic'
 -- INSTALL:  Moving droidcam driver and executable to system folders..
 -- INSTALL:  Registering DroidCam device driver
 -- INSTALL:  adding droidcam to /etc/modules
 -- INSTALL:  Running depmod
 -- INSTALL:  Creating ~/.droidcam
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-39-generic'
  CLEAN   /home/chase/Desktop/droidcam-x86/webcam/.tmp_versions
  CLEAN   /home/chase/Desktop/droidcam-x86/webcam/Module.symvers /home/chase/Desktop/droidcam-x86/webcam/modules.order
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-39-generic'
 -- INSTALL:  Done! You can make sure droidcam_v4l is loaded using 'lsmod'

And then I ran the command lsmod in another terminal window to verify it was installed / running, and you should see this at the top:
Code:
chase@chase-laptop:~$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
droidcam_v4l            5591  0 
etc...

If you see that, then open up another terminal window (or in the one you're in now... doesn't matter), and type in: droidcam

It should pop up and allow you to do whatever it is it's supposed to do.

Back
Top Bottom