Installing drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESIFL

In Runtime
Hi,

I'm currently a Windows user, but have been trying to get into Linux for about a year now. I've had it installed before, but I've recently upgraded to a 7900GT CO SuperOC'ed, and no distro I've found had support for it from install. After struggling with Ubuntu trying to install them from the command line it gave, I finally gave up. So, my question:

Is there anyway I can edit a distro's .iso file to slipstream my drivers so they will be supported on install?

I've opened up the latest Ubuntu and found nothing of semblence, also I've googled extensively to no result. :( In conclusion, I'd really enjoy to start working with Linux and learning my way around it, any help you guys could offer me would be greatly appreciated. :D

short answer NO

for the most part linux "drivers" are kernel modules which are loaded either at boot time or on demand, often times with newer or obscure hardware you might find someone that has hacked or written module code that you need which can be compiled for your system then inserted into the kernel as a module

in your case your expecting nvidia to have linux kernel modules for a brand new bleeding edge card yet their windows drivers are technically still beta............isnt gonna happen

nvidia may be way ahead of everyone else when it comes to linux support but they still work on windows drivers first and linux last, at this time nothing for linux and that card is available.........previous nvidia cards below the 6800 series they are available

best way to run linux is with hardware thats been around a few years at least, release times for stuff like this lags behind windows by 6 months to a year, and sometimes it never happens at all..............you wont be running many games on linux that even an old 64mb mx440 nvidia card wont handle just fine

Oh, okay. I didn't realize that.

Thanks very much for your help. I'll forget about Linux for a while, or I might install it on my other computer with an older graphics card.

Thanks a lot. :D

here do this:

sudo -i

(type your password)

apt-get install module-assistant nvidia-kernel-common
m-a prepare
m-a auto-install nvidia
apt-get install nvidia-glx

horndude - the binary driver nvidia uses for windows and linux is exactly the same, so they are both developed at the same time. my 7800gt works perfectly in linux, and it was new when i got it. i would bet my life that the nvidia drivers work in linux w/ SLI 7900gt's right now

since when? the drivers Ive always used with nvidia come from nvidia, and they get compiled against the kernel in use by your system by the nvidia installer itself, IOW gcc is needed, however the generic nvidia driver that comes with x.org will work, just doesnt have openGL support

http://www.nvidia.com check and see for yourself

about drivers being the same - -

look at the kororaa webpage, theres a letter from nvidia talking all about it

about the nv driver - -

lol the nv driver does NOT work. i get all sorts of artifacts and if i move windows too fast, xorg crashes and the only way to recover is by pushing the power button lol

aaah, see , so the nv driver does not work with the cards above the 6600 series or whatever nvidia has it listed as at its website.......thats what I thought, so nvidia does not have a specific driver for those cards unless its listed as something else I didnt see yet-------so they have been forced to make a change in the way drivers are handled after that series of cards and it sounds like they are pretty close to having the universal binary ready for any platform and just the wrappers will be changed according to whatever OS its on

ive never tried a high end card with linux, no need to, I use what works.......to do work not games

i do work and games :-D

but yeah, theres no need to have a card any higher than even an FX5200 if you're not doing games or anything requiring 3d hardware acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom