Installing Americas Army v2.2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musjunk22

Daemon Poster
I'm fairly new to the linux scene and I need help installing the game Americas Army v2.2.1 (linux) www.americasarmy.com

I downloaded the file which was 737.8MB and had the .sh extension. When I click on it all it does is open up KWrite and it doesn't do anything, Can anyone help me? I googled everywhere for help but none...

Also I installed Team Speak 2 but when I click on the teamspeak.bin file nothing happens again. (.bin stands for binary right? is that the windows equivelant of a .exe file?) Also I edited the teamspeak.sh file to replace the %instalpath% line with the directory I installed it in like the readme said, why won't it work? www.goteamspeak.com

If it helps I have SuSe 9.2

open a terminal and type ./<filename>.sh , it may need you to be root to install it, if so, su to root then type ./install.sh or whatever the install script is named

bin file is similar, try sh teamspeak.bin or whatever its called, if that doesnt work try exec teamspeak.bin

oh ya, in KDE a terminal is probably called konsole, icon looks like a pic of a monitor

linux isnt all point and click, learn commandline skills, they some in handy :)

horndude said:
linux isnt all point and click, learn commandline skills, they some in handy :)
Thanks for the tip

okay I open the terminal and type in exec /home/Matt/Documents/Downloads/armyops221-linux.run which is the path of the file I need to install but it says permission denied. Same goes for the teamspeak.bin file. Does the file need to be in the root folder? I can't open the root folder because it says: "You don't have permissions to access this folder"

BTW I think I made an error I said the file was a .sh but it is a .run

I really don't get all this stuff as I'm really new to linux can you give me step by step instructions on how to do this? or are there any really good tutorials for doing stuff like this on the net that you know of?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

ok the file hasnt been tagged executable by users, you prob downloaded it while you were root, change to root and try again, if that doesnt work do this:

type chmod +x <filename> , do that for each of those install files, that will make them executable

in linux a file has permissions attached to it, linux is a multiuser system, so it has to be protected from reg users running commands that can make changes to the system

while your in a directory type ls -al -------> this will list all files in long format, you'll see a bunch or xwxwxwx type stuff on one side, r=read, w=write,x=execute and theres a column of those for root,user, and group, programs can be classified to run,read,and write for different permission levels and users

the chmod command changes what those are

typing help or ? in a terminal will spit out all the basic shell commands, typing man <command name> will print out a manual or "man" page for that command, try "man ls" for example

if you list something and it scrolls out of view, add " | more" after your command, that pipes the output into a program called more, its a pager, breaks things into screen sized views, hit q to exit it, space or return to scroll.

Thanks for the help, I did what you said for one file then figured out that SuSe 9.2 has a feature where you just right click the file and set it's permissions, So I got Teamspeak and Americas Army installed fine plus RTCW:Enemy Territory.

Does anyone know of any good "FREE" FPS games like AA or ET for linux? I heard that Doom 3 runs on linux, I have the games but it seems it isn't compatible with nix.

ALSO IF YOU HAVE AIM FOR LINUX PLEEASE SEND IT TO ME! I went on aim.com and there download links don't work

Doom 1,2,3 will run on nix, unreal tournament will too I think.Lets see, what else..........I think there's duke nukem version, metal gear, descent #?,most of the quake versions, FPS are more common for nix than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom