Installing 2.6.13 on slack 10.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameGURU

Fully Optimized
Hey, I need to know how to install a new kernel onto slackware 10.2. The new kernel is 2.6.13, I hear that when most people upgrade, they get their wireless working. So I wanted to give that a shot.

Can someone give me a pointer or something please? That would be great if you could :)

Just type test26.s at the boot prompt when you start the install. Don't forget to read the release notes as there are some extra packages you should install.

You can install 2.6 without compiling, just install the kernel package and all the other packages in the 2.6 directory. You should then run /sbin/lilo. If you have any unusual hardware or are using a file system other than ext2/ext3/reiserfs then you will need to make a new initrd.

I haven't tried this myself, I did a fresh install with 2.6 so I wish you luck :D

Whoa whoa...how did you fresh install 2.6?

I have nothing on the partition right now so I am free to delete it and reinstall as much as I need to.

As I said in my previous post type test26.s at the boot prompt when you start your install then when you get to the kernel selection menu choose to install one from the cd and select test26.s again. Make sure you choose ext2/ext3 or reiserfs as a filesystem or you might have problems booting.

When you boot into slackware you'll get error messages because the 2.6 kernel modules (and other stuff) are missing, so the first thing to do is reinsert disk2 and install them with

mount /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/linux-2.6.13
pkgtool

Install all the packages except the kernel (kernel-generic-2.6.13-i486-1.tgz, it's already installed) and reboot.

Have fun

popey said:
As I said in my previous post type test26.s at the boot prompt when you start your install then when you get to the kernel selection menu choose to install one from the cd and select test26.s again. Make sure you choose ext2/ext3 or reiserfs as a filesystem or you might have problems booting.

When you boot into slackware you'll get error messages because the 2.6 kernel modules (and other stuff) are missing, so the first thing to do is reinsert disk2 and install them with

mount /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/linux-2.6.13
pkgtool

Install all the packages except the kernel (kernel-generic-2.6.13-i486-1.tgz, it's already installed) and reboot.

Have fun
Ok...

So I installed the new installation no problem.

Well, I restarted the system and there was no error message...thinking everything worked fine I started x. My mouse doesn't work.

Thinking I needed to install things like you said, I cd'd the directory which doesn't exist. :mad:

I dunno what to do now :confused:

Things won't work properly until you finish by installing the packages in the linux-2.6.13 directory. Make sure you're mounting the cd (disk 2) properly, use

more /etc/fstab

to view your fstab and check the mount point and

ls

to view the contents of the cd. The directory definitely exists, cd to it and use pkgtool to install the contents.
Use tab completion to avoid typo's, for example, type cd /m then press tab then type c and press tab then type l and press tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom