Installation over Windows - Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

PnkFloyd27

In Runtime
If I just do the normal Ubuntu installation on the only HDD in the computer, will it write over Windows and all of the programs in it? Or do I have to uninstall windows and/or wipe the HDD first? If so how do I do this?

(I did search google and didn't really get a straight forward answer.)

If you just put in the cd and let it do the "default installation" then it will probably overwrite everything.
My advice (just another noob's advice) dont go for command line installation, go for GUI. its a lot easier.
also before you install linux, make sure you have one "ext (2 or 3)" partition ready and some amount of swap space also!
after you free up this space then the installation cd will autodetect and install linux there keeping your windows and your data safe.
hope this helps you! c ya!!

How do I partition the HDD? Do I have to do that manually or can I do that in the Ubuntu Installation?

If you want to keep Windows, and you have XP, then I'd suggest getting a copy of the Linux based "System Rescue CD", I'm using an old version that has QTParted, newer ones use GParted but because of problems I've had with GParted on Ubuntu, I felt like using the QTParted one instead. QTParted can easily and safely resize NTFS partitions to leave space for Ubuntu, and it can format ext2 or ext3 partitions to install Ubuntu on. I've had problems with GParted on Ubuntu's CD destroying NTFS partitions and making me reinstall Windows, thus destroying the partition table because all I have are stupid factory-image Recovery CD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom