If I were to build a linux server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
I am thinking of building a small web hosting server. It would host our website and other stuff like minecraft which don't take much resources and can be ran on a linux box. What I want to know is what variation is recommended.

What I have on hand is:
Ubuntu 8.04
Kubuntu 8.1
Ubuntu Ultimate Edition

The server would have 30-60gb storage Pentium 4 or Celron D or above and 512mb to 2gb of ram. Any suggestions on a variation?

I haven't used it but Ultimate Edition appears fairly resource heavy (even compared to the other two on your list).

Between the three you have there I think I would choose Ubuntu 8.04 but TBH I think you would be better off downloading the latest Debian.

For a server I recommend using Debian since it's know for being stable as a rock.
If you prefer using Ubuntu get the 10.04 version, the latest LTS. The 8.04 is quite old now, two years.

What about Ubuntu Server? I noticed they had that now...

My Ubuntu is 2 years old, it is just what I had on DVD.

I am going to install UE on a dell laptop today. I will download Debian and try it out. You know I might as well download the latest Ubuntu while I am at it, w/ server edition.

I am glad to take any other recommendations as well as the server is built yet and I want to test some of these different distro's out.

I suppose it depends on what the server will be doing. Debian just screams stability, so that's often my first instinct when it comes to core servers.

That being said, I've also ran Ubuntu desktop edition on servers with outstanding uptime. Ubuntu has proven itself to me as a worthy server OS, but I'd still probably lean towards Debian just due to its much lengthier reputation.

It will be hosting websites and other smaller stuff to the net for use anywhere. My home server runs Windows Server 2008, But since this will be putting stuff online for people through domains and what not I do not want it on my home server as a lot of my computers use it for a lot of different things.

It will be hosting websites and other smaller stuff to the net for use anywhere. My home server runs Windows Server 2008, But since this will be putting stuff online for people through domains and what not I do not want it on my home server as a lot of my computers use it for a lot of different things.

I hear ya. Sometimes I fire up my spare Ubuntu box running Apache for certain jobs. Even though my main box has Apache and I often use it for personal use, I hate to use the same box for work vs personal stuff. I just don't like that idea. I'd rather have it route to a completely bare system that is there to serve as a workhorse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom