IBM Server X3200 TOWER...

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I'm curious if their are any problems any one knows I'll run in to with installing Mint 17.1 on a IBM Server x3200 what was originally designed for MS Server 2003.

So far I've encountered none but I've found that Mint is running in Software Rendering Mode due to not detecting the on board Graphics.

I'm busy doing updates with the System but not sure if it will fix the problem.

Hey Spud. I'm not sure if you should see any other issues, but do you see anything listed in Device Drivers in the system settings of Linux Mint? Some graphics cards drivers can be installed this way, but I'm not sure about the one you're running. Onboard server graphics are typically designed with a barebones approach.

You might want to consider Ubuntu Server or a Debian variant without a GUI. I mean, since it's a server. :tongue:

Thanks for the feedback I just noticed the Responses to the thread. I think I have a copy of Debian some were if not I can download it from some were online. I know it would be best more than likely to have a non GUI Server OS but Mint being a low level OS pretty much for beginners I think it was just to do the crunching on for the BOINC App.

You could actually try Linux mint mate edition as it would run more minimalistic and not rely on graphics drivers

Do you know if you can run mate that it will specifically run with out Hardware acceleration.

I have a system hear I could do with running Mint on it but I think I tried Cinnamon on it. Do you know if that particular OS Ver. release needs Hardware acceleration support.

Do you know if you can run mate that it will specifically run with out Hardware acceleration.

I have a system hear I could do with running Mint on it but I think I tried Cinnamon on it. Do you know if that particular OS Ver. release needs Hardware acceleration support.

The MATE edition is more of a "safe mode" or "classic" mode for windows as it doesnt normally come pre loaded with desktop effects.
Other light desktops that can be used are:
XFCE
LXDE/LXQT
Hardware acceleration is something that can be done without if you choose the right DE
Desktops like KDE, Cinnemon, Gnome shell and Ubuntu's unity are more for your more modern contemporary systems while desktops like XFCE, LXDE/LXQT, and MATE are more geared for older hardware and certain server hardware.
Of course if a full desktop doesn't work you could work with something like iceWM.
iceWM is not in a sense a desktop interface like one you would find in a windows system, its more of a stripped down UI with the most basic features.
So are things like openbox, fluxbox and Enlightenment.
Actually you may want to give enlightenment a shot, its a window manager that comes very close to a full desktop like experience:
Shot-2014-12-22_20-47-54.png

Heck it can do some nice desktop effects without actually being a true desktop.

Actually let me explain here before I confuse you by mistake:
In linux there are several user interfaces that one can use for thier daily function.
You have your full on desktop environments that offer features a windows user would find familiar.
Then you have your command line interfaces where a mouse is normally optional.
And finally you have your window managers, which sometimes can fall somewhere in between.
In the linux world there is a more modular approach to things compared to how things are in windows, the desktop, the windowed interfaces, the GUI in general are actually components of each other but at the same time can be modified.
A better more concise explanation can be found here:
What is the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager? - Ask Ubuntu

The MATE edition is more of a "safe mode" or "classic" mode for windows as it doesnt normally come pre loaded with desktop effects.
Other light desktops that can be used are:
XFCE
LXDE/LXQT
Hardware acceleration is something that can be done without if you choose the right DE
Desktops like KDE, Cinnemon, Gnome shell and Ubuntu's unity are more for your more modern contemporary systems while desktops like XFCE, LXDE/LXQT, and MATE are more geared for older hardware and certain server hardware.
Of course if a full desktop doesn't work you could work with something like iceWM.
iceWM is not in a sense a desktop interface like one you would find in a windows system, its more of a stripped down UI with the most basic features.
So are things like openbox, fluxbox and Enlightenment.
Actually you may want to give enlightenment a shot, its a window manager that comes very close to a full desktop like experience:
Shot-2014-12-22_20-47-54.png

Heck it can do some nice desktop effects without actually being a true desktop.

Actually let me explain here before I confuse you by mistake:
In linux there are several user interfaces that one can use for thier daily function.
You have your full on desktop environments that offer features a windows user would find familiar.
Then you have your command line interfaces where a mouse is normally optional.
And finally you have your window managers, which sometimes can fall somewhere in between.
In the linux world there is a more modular approach to things compared to how things are in windows, the desktop, the windowed interfaces, the GUI in general are actually components of each other but at the same time can be modified.
A better more concise explanation can be found here:
What is the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager? - Ask Ubuntu

You see the thing is I have a system hear I have had for a while. I haven't set it up proper. Its an x2 Athlon System that I could use no problem. I removed the HDD and replaced it, and done a mem test, along with using the correct power adapter for the system as I think the system is an ITX.

I boot the system and I get to the installation section of the Linux Mint installer and the whole thing just locks up and freezes with horizontal lines on the screen. Other times I have had the system just freeze, so I was thinking it could be a on board GPU problem and I would have to find a work around but I haven't been back to it so I'm not sure. Do you think MATE would work, or being a desktop variant; MATE, would that even be a problem. Mabie something with in the kernel, or a software GPU problem.

Well it could very well work, its hard to say as there are varibles to consider.
There are other distros like debian as you pointed out, debian is still going to be your best bet and it really isnt that hard to set up just more annoying.
Of course you could try lubuntu or Ubuntu MATE, both would offer more windows user friendly experience

I checked my system the Athlon X2, and its got no Memory. I didn't realize I must of gotten rid of it when I sold my Bundles of HDD's and Memory so for the time being until I get some I'm stumped unless I take some out of another System. I'd prefer to buy new tbh.

But getting back on track I've had Debian on my very old server before and I had issues with that server with the internet connection on the tower I had; the old server.

The thing is the PC, Athlon X2 of Low Profile and so finding a GPU might prove to be hard.

Back
Top Bottom