I want a duel os, what should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't get any rpm-based distro. to install anything you're gonna go through dependancy hell. that means don't get fedora, red hat, suse, or mandrake. they may be easy to install up front, but to install anything else will be a pain in the ass.

as others ahve said the best noob distros are probably slackware or something debian-based like (k)ubuntu. slack if you want to learn a lot in linux, debian will be a bit easier to use because apt-get takes care of all dependancies without having to go out and actually search for the package.

yah, i forgot about that. but once you get gentoo installed, it's a very simple distro to use. slack on the other hand still requires you do all of the linuxy things to install programs.

I agree with Qiranworms. I used Gentoo as my first linux experience. What an absoloute nightmare to get running, but very rewarding when gotten right.

Qiranworms said:
Redhat 9? Solaris?

My recommendation? Ubuntu Linux
Debian based, easy to install, excellent community, etc. Read the new Distro Recommendation sticky for more. Speaking of that thread, a lot of you seem to have strong opinions about various distros...post your distro of choice there! :D

I Agree Fully, Ubuntu Linux is A simple uncluttered OS, Access to Root Terminal, doesn't come with SPs you don't need. It's great, In fact I wish I'd started out my Linux Experience Using Ubunt as opposed to RH8.

Jake

I like it..., how many cd's does it take for the iso's

and can that yellowish brown theme be changed to a different color (open source?)

thanx...

I will dl it as soon as I empty my second hd... I have a lot to back up

and how many gigs will it take to install???

I just noticed that they are giveing away cd's I got 10 x86 and 5 x64's

You first have to join up and get a password, put in your details (mailing address etc) then how many copies you want (be warned they won't send just 1)

Wouldn't reccomend it they take 4 ever, unless they lose your order first. That's what they did to mine!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom