I wanna try linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I started with Ubuntu, I got the 64 bit version. But I quickly switched to the 32 bit version (x86 or 386, whatever it is) because I was having some issues. When I looked on ubuntuforums.org, it turns out the 64 bit version wasn't completely panned out of issues yet, while the 32 bit version was.

But I've been a happy 32 bit user of Ubuntu.

I just booted into Windows for 5 minutes to transfer some music videos over. Drove me nuts. The explorer crashed twice. :mad:

Hey, I tried to partition the hard drive but it didn't go to well, and then when I cancelled the installation I couldn't get back to windows. So I just simply wiped the hard drive and installed Ubuntu. I don't mind that I lost all my programs, but I do mind that I have no internet now. How do I get an internet connection for Ubuntu?

In my home my mom, my sister, and I were hooked up to a wireless network. My wireless adapter is

Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter model No. WMP54G v4

I pray I can be in the network even though I don't have windows anymore. Can someone please help me, or point me in the right direction to getting back into the network. I've never done networking before.

Thanks.

EDIT: I found out this info for my card

Card: Linksys #[WMP54G v4], 54mbps -- [link here|List#WMP54G v4]
Chipset: Ralink RT2500
pciid: 1814:0201
Driver 0: Native GPL Ralink driver in Ubuntu Breezy (rt2500 and rt2500-source packages). Installed the source and manually built with 'make'. Then used Gnome's network configuration to setup the device. Seems to perform as well as Windows version, but haven't tried WEP or WPA. My card was labeled WMP54G (EU), bought in 11/2005.
Driver 1: RT2500.inf from the WMP54Gv4 directory on the CD (the bundled CD has both v2 and v4 drivers), or download the drivers straight from Linksys.
Other: Debian Sarge, 2.4 kernel, and 128-bit WEP. Works great. Also works with Mandrake 10.1 with the newest versions of Ndiswrapper, not the one included on the installation CD. Note that Ralink has provided the source for an official driver at http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm but I have not tested it yet.

I found it at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List#L

Hmmm...How odd. I played around with the networking and all of a sudden I established a connection. I hope it stays!!!

Sorry for triple posting, but how do I watch the videos at places such as

thatvideosite.com
break.com
filecabi.net etc.

Because all the plug ins don't work with linux right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom