I have to say it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRecluse

In Runtime
I love PClinuxOS.

I tried to convince myself that Ubuntu had everything I needed, but PClinuxOS blows it out of the water with "out-of-the-box" usability.

Thank you Jakec

can u explain further what do you mean by "out of the box"???
i am asking because i personally use ubuntu 7 and i find it quite satisfying!!!

This is exactly why there are exactly 1.8 billion distributions of Linux. ;) There's sure to be one out there that fits your needs.

yes, pclinuxos is awesome. one distro you might want to try if you like out of the box-type distros, Linux Mint.

with 3.0 KDE edition about to come out, i will definately try it out.

it's ubuntu-based, so it is more stable, but has all the plugins for firefox (flash, java, etc.) and stuff like wmv and avi and stuff without any extra configuration.

speaking of that, i am using ubuntu and i can't seem to play WMV videos, or elephants dream (AVI), or stream music online. any ideas?

can u explain further what do you mean by "out of the box"???
i am asking because i personally use ubuntu 7 and i find it quite satisfying!!!

For one thing, in both Ubuntu 7 and PClinuxOS my screen resolution started out at 1024x768, which looks horrible on my widescreen laptop. In Ubuntu I had to search through forums to find out exactly what I needed to do to fix it. With PClinuxOS all I had to do was click on the screen resolution wizard. It said that my resolution would probably be bad, and then suggested to install 915resolution automatically. I clicked yes, and everything took care of itself.

In this version of PClinuxOS (2007) Compiz and Beryl came installed already, and ready to go. Plus, all the media streams already worked for me.

I'm sure there is plenty more that I haven't discovered yet.

The live CD is worth trying out.

yes, pclinuxos can definately be easier to configure, with lots of wizards and stuff, altough it is not the most powerful or configurable distro. it is a great distro, but if you want to have more power and control, go with ubuntu, suse, debian, slackware, or if you are really brave: gentoo.

sometimes configuring things such as display manually can turn out better (if you know what you're doing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom