I can't install ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I tried the memory test one stick at a time and there were no errors on either of them. So I tried installing ubuntu with just one stick and it worked!! So I don't understand that. Why would 2 sticks of ram cause errors?

How many passes did you let each memtest run for on each stick prior to coming to the conclusion of having no errors? Reason I ask is often times errors can turn up on later passes. To get an *accurate* memtest, I personally let it run overnight. In my experience, most times I see errors on RAM within seconds of beginning the test - however I've had one or two that haven't showed up until 2-3 hours into the test.

Just some food for thought. I'm beginning to wonder if the stick of RAM you had OUT of the computer when Ubuntu's LiveCD worked has some errors... if I were you, just for kicks and giggles, put that stick of RAM in the computer with no other sticks of RAM installed, then run memtest overnight for quite a few hours - see what happens in the morning.

I'm not sure how many passes. I let it run for awhile and I went away and then when I came back it said passed at the bottom and it said hit esc to exit. It just seems weird how it had errors with both sticks in. Now I don't know if I should put the other one in or not. I only have 512 in right now.

Well, there has to be an error somewhere... How did you test the RAM? Did you try each stick of RAM corresponding with its slot on the motherboard it normally uses?

AKA - If you had stick A in slot 1, and stick B in slot 2, when you tested the RAM individually is that how you had them set up? Or did you test each stick individually in the same slot?

I've used infra recorder and imgburn. Could bad ram cause it to freeze? Because I started doing the memtest and it was getting a lot of errors but I stopped it because it was taking forever and I didn't know how long it goes on for. Also I have my ram in slots 3 and 4 because for some reason they don't work in slots 1 and 2. I even got a different motherboard and they still only work in slots 3 and 4.

He has bad RAM. It doesn't matter whether this is the target for the installation or the computer used to burn the disk.
If he solved the issue by removing one RAM module but the removed module passes a long memtest then it is possible that he had the module in the wrong slot or something.

I tested each stick in slot 3. Hmm maybe slot 4 caused the errors?

Very possible. RAM is extremely fussy, and can be a royal pain if it's not "juuuuust right." Try every scenario when it comes to scanning the RAM to see what you come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom