On the hunt for a simple rsync application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Before you terminal junkies get on me about the rsync command, I got it. But I'm trying to find a GUI application that allows us to easily set up folder pairs on the fly, similar to SyncToy for Windows.

That said, I've got some basic requests. I want it to sync raw data. I don't want it to be a compressed tarball of a backup or anything like that. I just want it to bring the data over as is. If it can do two way sync that would be even better, as I wouldn't mind working from the NAS on my laptop which has an ultra small hard drive and then syncing it so the data comes to my desktop. It also needs to support network shares, as I will be backing all of this data up through CIFS onto a FreeNAS server I set up.

Some programs I've come across:

LuckyBackup:
It appeared to be a solid application. It had a built in scheduler and seemed to do the trick. The downside is, it doesn't appear to support network shares, as I had no issues using it locally but once I tried to tag in the .gvfs CIFS share it would only transfer directories and nothing inside of the directories. Very disappointing, so this program struck out as of now, unless someone else can tell me I'm doing something wrong with it.

Unison:
Nice program, but doesn't support network shares from what I saw. This alone struck it out.

Grsync:
The best program I've used. It's easy, does the job, supports my .gvfs CIFS share without a headache, and works predictably and reliably each time. The only downside is, I cannot figure out how to get this to run on a scheduler. Granted, the program does the job well, but it's lacking some extra features I would like.

Deja Dup:
Solid application, and by far the simplest I've seen. It's a program you cannot possibly screw up using, considering it's two large buttons - restore, and backup. The super amazingly awesome thing about this program is it will automatically mount a CIFS share if it's not mounted, which is something I haven't seen of other applications. It works great and I have no issues with it. Except one. It only does compressed backups... so I really don't have an option except to use it in a tarball'd format. This is not something I want to do, but so far, it's still a very very attractive option, especially seeing as though the restore option works great.

Does anybody have anything else to throw in here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom