HTPC Users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
So my girlfriend has been continually dreading her borderline-robbery cable bill as the billing cycles continue. With her working third shift and watching TV as rarely as she does, it's become rather questionable on how the price is justified. Furthermore, some research suggested what few TV shows she does watch may be available on certain streaming services at a fraction of the price of cable. Currently Amazon is on my radar, but I'll have to look around more.

Lately I've considered setting up a PC for her with Ubuntu on it to use as a home theatre system. That way she can use it as a remote NAS to back up music and pictures to, but also view them on the system as well. Likewise, other options like XBMC and Boxee are available which only amplify the way things operate and look.

Further research has come to several conclusions.

1 - XBMC is gorgeous.
2 - Boxee is based on XBMC. It too is gorgeous.
3 - XBMC is optimized for "local" media. Therefore, streaming integration is a long shot, but it sure has a nice interface for navigating through your locally stored media.
4 - Boxee is optimized for streaming. However, it's only optimized for actual D-Link Boxee boxes that are "Netflix ready", etc. Downloaded variants of Boxee seem to fall short in this department based on what I read.
5 - If Boxee's manual installs fall short in streaming, I wouldn't think that it would have a +1 over XBMC then.
6 - While 11.10 isn't out yet, I've been using it extensively. Native GTK3 integration with Unity and Gnome Shell is absolutely beautiful. Would it be so bad to just use a regular desktop environment as my HTPC environment instead?

I figure if I really focus on #6, another severe +1 comes my way. While Boxee and XBMC might not have certain services integrated, what does it matter when I have my trusty web browser RIGHT there? Sure, it's more of a "computer" experience, but with the two desktop environments mentioned above, they really might be do-able. I figure for a TV I wouldn't want bright white backpanes and such, so I opted to test out several dark themes to give more of a movie theatre feel. So far, I've found several that would be great to utilize, as they look good and are very easy to read.

Does anybody have any thoughts in this department?

Hey, what do I know... I'm just a Linux noob. :lol:

I went to some reading, and I heard people just using Debian, and then adding the features they need for streaming video and such.

I've tried XBMC and Boxee, both I found not quite as good as Plex. It's pretty recently been made available for Linux systems too, check it out
Plex » The Plex “Penguin-Friendly” Media Server
Plex Labs

edit: oh, and ignore plex reviews (or at least the old reviews). The last few updates have really pushed some new features and fixed a lot of problems, read the changelogs for those. But yha, couldn't be happier with it now :D grabs the metadata for my movies/tvserieses quickly and accurately, great interface, easy to use, and easy to get remote controls working with it too should you want to do that. I'm running it on a Mac Mini, so I've hooked it up to the Apple remote, currently hooked up to a Harmony.

I've tried XBMC and Boxee, both I found not quite as good as Plex. It's pretty recently been made available for Linux systems too, check it out
Plex » The Plex “Penguin-Friendly” Media Server
Plex Labs

edit: oh, and ignore plex reviews (or at least the old reviews). The last few updates have really pushed some new features and fixed a lot of problems, read the changelogs for those. But yha, couldn't be happier with it now :D grabs the metadata for my movies/tvserieses quickly and accurately, great interface, easy to use, and easy to get remote controls working with it too should you want to do that. I'm running it on a Mac Mini, so I've hooked it up to the Apple remote, currently hooked up to a Harmony.

Can you give me a run-down on what hardware you used for this setup? I'm bouncing between two ideas and I'm not sure which to sway.

I have a system here. Dual Core E2200 with 2GB of RAM. It runs Ubuntu so nicely. It only has two PCI slots though, and I would definitely need a graphics card. I'm up in the air between using this DC E2200 box w/ a PCI graphics card powerful enough to run 1080 without a hitch (plus HDMI out) or, instead, getting a new but low powered system (which would almost definitely be more powerful than this E2200 proc) and going from there.

If I get a new rig, I'll spend a bit more. Some people say 1080 isn't hard to achieve anymore, suggesting my E2200 proc should do it great. But I have this voice in my head saying I'd need more power...

EDIT:

I've done some comparisons between using the existing system as well as building a new. Considering I have a tower and hdd I was able to take away some of the brunt of the cost. Most PCI/HDMI graphics cards I've seen were in the area of 110, and of course they only went up from there. Based on a quick product crunch, it looks like I can build a new Sandy Bridge rig for 200-250. Considering the price, I'm on board with that.

I'm looking at several items here:

Intel Pentium Dual Core G620T 2.2GHz Dual Core
Foxconn H67S HDMI MicroATX
PNY 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM (2x2GB)
Rosewill 350w PSU

Then I'd be using my own case and HDD.

Think the G620T would give me solid 1080 playback? All of the above can be had for 205 shipped...

Not sure whether it's worth going with the G620T over the normal G620?, 2.6Ghz and 850Mhz vs 2.2Ghz and 650Mhz, only 30W higher TDP (and at 65W that's still pretty low lol). $10 cheaper off newegg too. IMO might be worth it

My setup is like so:
Mac Mini is my HTPC, connected to my TV. It has 1Tb internal storage, and also 2 2TB external drives connected to it directly. There's also a small 2TB (4TB but mirrored) NAS in the roof connected to the network.
Plex handles all my movie/music/tvseries management for the TV (scrapes metadata/subtitles/etc off imdb/etc, displays info from within Plex). Installed Plex client on the other PCs around the house and pointed them at the main Plex server, all standardised ftw :D

Basically, store your files where you want. Point plex server to them, it'll index them and get extra info on/for them for you to view in the Plex browser. Install clients on other machines and point them at server.

I ended up changing the specs a little bit.

Kingston 4GB RAM
Intel H67 (HDMI, Sata 6GB, USB 3.0 Micro ATX)
Intel Core i3-2120T Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz 35w

That way I can utilize my existing micro ATX case without question, along with the SATA HDD I already have. Just need to tack a small PSU on it and we're golden. With the RAM, Proc, Mobo, and PSU I'm looking at about 280. I think that'll be a nice compromise of power vs affordability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom