How to remove the Linux bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
A friend of mine installed Linux next to Windows XP a few weeks ago and did not like it that much and decided to get rid of it. The problem that he faced was that the Linux bootloader was still showing up when he started his system. He was not able to figure out what to do about it and asked me if I knew a way to remove the Linux bootloader from his system so that Windows XP would start immediately.
I actually knew several methods on how to fix the MBR (Master Boot Record) to get rid of the Linux bootloader. There was however only one way that would safely fix the MBR and remove the Linux bootloader from it. I'm saying safely because it can happen that methods such as Fdisk /mbr would require a reactivation of the Windows operating system.

MBR Fix is a small command line freeware for Windows that makes it possible to fix the Master Boot Record from the command line of your operating system. Just download the tool, open the command line and type
MbrFix /drive 0 fixmbr /yes
to fix the MBR and remove the Linux bootloader.

i use mbrwiz, it's excellent.

it's for linux and windows, so what i do is boot to any livecd and download the mbrwiz file and run it.

it's quite simple, all you have to do is: unpack it, then chmod a+x mbrwiz then to run it:

./mbrwiz -list (to see what drive number your drive is)

so usually this is what i type:

./mbrwiz disk=0 -wipe=1

MBRWizard! - The MBR Management Utility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom