How Long did Your Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Upgrade Take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theopfor

In Runtime
If you use Ubuntu, and if you upgraded to 12.04, how long did it take you? It took me 23 hours, but I didn't check notifications at night or while I was in school. I'm wondering if my system specs had something to do with it...

What were you upgrading from? It should have taken at most an hour. What internet do you have? It shouldn't take that long to download it.

If you use Ubuntu, and if you upgraded to 12.04, how long did it take you? It took me 23 hours, but I didn't check notifications at night or while I was in school. I'm wondering if my system specs had something to do with it...

Now is that 23 hours from the time they released it, or 23 hours from the time you started it. There is a difference. I have been on 12.04 for about 2 weeks now and it took me less than 30 minutes to download the updates from 11.10 to 12.04 and get them installed.

Just checked for the first time in a couple of days for updates. Had 15 of them. 1 of them was the new Linux Kernel. I got it downloaded, installed and rebooted in 7 minutes. ;)

23 hours in the upgrade process. I think most of the time it was 57 kb/s to 64 kb/s. Maybe mb/s. Upgraded from the Update Manager.

EDIT: Is the 12.04 more resource demanding? Or is it just Firefox? This is the first time I've heard my computer making any hardware related sounds since I switched to Linux.

If it was mb/s, you would be done in seconds. You could of have a bad connection with the repository location.

12.0.4 is the same as 11.10. IIRC, The only big thing they changed was Unity's look and feel.

Hardware sound? what sound?

I can believe the bad internet connection, happens often. Fan, CPU, or hard drive sound, I truly do not know the sound differences, all I know is that my computer is slower, and something is louder, not by much though, its sound, I have not heard.

I'm sure it's their servers. With each release, Ubuntu exponentially increases the server count to handle the load, but it seems like each time they underestimate just how many people would be downloading the new version. 12.04 LTS brings on a huge rave with it being their first 5 year LTS (previous were 3 years), and a Unity experience that is quite nice. I've had terrible speeds with updates recently if I use the main server. If you go into your software sources, there should be an option for "update server" with main server listed. If you go in there, there's an entry to select best server. Running that will locate the quickest update server for you. I would think that would have drastically changed your speeds.

@Jayce, That should definitely help in the future! Mine was set to the default server in the US.

As for the sound, I think I'm overreacting over something tiny.

@Jayce, That should definitely help in the future! Mine was set to the default server in the US.

As for the sound, I think I'm overreacting over something tiny.

A lot of people aren't aware you can change the update server, which is why for a bit of time after a new release everything tends to be a little slower. About the sound, I'm not sure. 12.04 doesn't seem any more resource intensive than 11.04, 11.10, etc. If you want some sort of comparison, you could always fire up a Live USB of 11.10 and tinker in the live session a bit and just see if the sounds can be duplicated. It's not an exact mirrored comparison, but it's somewhat there. Maybe it'll give you some sort of lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom