How to install rpm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggsucker

Solid State Member
how do i install an .rpm file? How do you use gcc when using the "./configure" command for Apache?

Okay, sounds like you're asking 2 completely unrelated questions. Let me first explain what an RPM is. RPM stands for RedHat PAckage Management, which is pre-compiled packages that are easily installable, assuming they were compiled for your flavor of linux. They work fine in all versions of RedHat, most Debian, Slack, and some Mandrake. I've not tried many others (other than Gentoo, which doesn't use rpms at all).

Using the ./configure command is actually getting ready to compile a program. As I said above, when you use an rpm, you don't have to compile anything. ./configure checks to see that you have proper pre-requisites met (hardware, other software, etc. installed). Then you usually run a make, which compiles the program, followed by a make install, which puts the newly compiled program into the right directory. To run a ./configure for apache, download the source code, untar it, cd into that directory, and run the ./configure command. If you have any questions, feel free to IM me on AIM (JKHunholz)

When I try to install an RPM I recieve this...

Please insert the medium named "Installation CD 2 (x86) " on device [/dev/hdc]

I'm assuming this means my Mandrake 10.1 installation cd, but I don't have them anymore because I gave them to a friend.

Is there a way I can install what it needs without the cd?

I double clicked the rpm.

in the terminal i get permission denied, even logged in as root

dfx,

Most of the time , double clicking the rpm doesnt work. Now the permission denied in the terminal might be that, the file mode is not set to executable.

Right click the rpm file,select properties and click on the permissions tab. Enable the write permissions and then try out the rpm command in the terminal windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom