how to install programs???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Fully Optimized
I installed ubuntu on my old rig and downloaded some programs but when I click on the downloaded program it does nothing.
Is there a special way you have to install programs in linux or something?

I tried downloading real player linux version then double clicked the install file and nothing happens

I think it is compiled

Ubuntu uses the DEB package installers. Also go under System>Administration>Synaptic PAckage Manager and see if they are already availabe via the SPM. That is always a good place to start. If you are going for MP3's the GStreamer will be the best codecs to install.

Unless for some reason you really need to play Real files, don't use Real Player. Real Player sucks for Windows, even. There's plenty of other great audio and video players for Linux, try VLC.

Amarok, Banshee should both support it with the proper codec installed. That would be GStreamers. They are the best from what i have used of Linux. They have supported every MP3 and every other music file i have thrown at those apps.

Load up with Amarok or Banshee and then add the m3u file. It should automatically download the needed codecs.

I'm pretty sure Totem (already installed) and VLC (sudo apt-get install vlc) can read m3u playlists.

But yeah, because of copyright or some junk you have to install codecs to get Totem to play MP3s. VLC should do it out of the box, though.

I'm pretty sure Totem (already installed) and VLC (sudo apt-get install vlc) can read m3u playlists.

But yeah, because of copyright or some junk you have to install codecs to get Totem to play MP3s. VLC should do it out of the box, though.

that's because a number of other packages are installed with VLC to allow it to do so. as a rule anything with "iffy" licensing regarding how Free it is, is left out if non essential.

One other problem I noticed but may as well take car of here,

My screen resolution will not change, when i go to change it it blinks for s sec then says keep this resolution or return to previous resolution but it still is stuck in the same res as before and the refresh rates available are only 53hz and 60hz but nothing changes between the two either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom