How to install packages in the linux distro "Solus"?

Crenewer

In Runtime
I finally managed to dual boot a linux distro with Windows 10. The first time I tried, I somehow messed up Windows, but it's all good now.
Anyways, I installed a distro called Solus, but I can't install apps. I tried searching, but all I read was commands and stuff, too much complicated. Why isn't it simple like Windows and install them with a double click? So far, I tried installing two apps: one with the type ".deb" and the other ".tar.gz". When I open them, it opens the package with the content inside. I also tried to open them with a different app called "Run Software", but nothing happens. Went to the distro's website for info, I read this:
----
Basic Commands

Install

You can install a package by using: install $package
----
I have no idea what that means.
Can you give me a simple guide, please? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
The .deb files are Debian installations, which are for Debian-based Linux OS's, such as Ubuntu, Mint, etc. If this is your first time using Linux...I would HIGHLY suggest switching to one of those distributions, as they're much more user friendly. Sounds like Solus isn't debian based, and thus you either have to build/make the installs yourself (most likely what's inside those .tar.gz files, which are just archive files) via command line, or find package repositories specifically for Solus.

I'm loving this distro, it's such a cool experience. The main reason I wanted to dual boot was to play Minecraft. Apparently, the game requires Windows 10 to require computer requirements that the game needs in order to play or something like that. That is - my laptop is too old to play Minecraft. Hence me trying to install apps. The game worked on Win7 though.

Last edited:
If this is your first time using Linux...I would HIGHLY suggest switching to one of those distributions, as they're much more user friendly.
Yes, it is my first time. I wanted to install Mint before, but the usb I used was too sucky - probably the reason it didn't work properly and messed Win10 (or maybe it was the lack of partition knowledge =p). Now I used a much better one, a 16GB 3.0 usb.

I'm loving this distro, it's such a cool experience. The main reason I wanted to dual boot was to play Minecraft. Apparently, the game requires Windows 10 to require computer requirements that the game needs in order to play or something like that. That is - my laptop is too old to play Minecraft. Hence me trying to install apps. It worked on Win7 though.

You can play minecraft on linux and it doesn't 'require' windows 10. In my personal experience it is better to play minecraft on linux if you have an old computer.

Like Carnage said, it is better to use something Debian based like ubuntu if you are new to linux. If you would like to stick with solus, an easy way to get the commands to install an application is to search google in this format: 'how to install <application name> linux'.

But still, just get ubuntu ;)

I'm loving this distro, it's such a cool experience. The main reason I wanted to dual boot was to play Minecraft. Apparently, the game requires Windows 10 to require computer requirements that the game needs in order to play or something like that. That is - my laptop is too old to play Minecraft. Hence me trying to install apps. The game worked on Win7 though.
Eh? If you download Minecraft from Minecraft.net / Mojang, then it should run... All it needs is JRE (Java Runtime Environment), and it'll run on any system that meets the hardware requirements.

The only one that requires Windows 10 is the "MInecraft Windows 10 Edition" which is basically just the mobile version of Minecraft running on Win10.

Yes, it is my first time. I wanted to install Mint before, but the usb I used was too sucky - probably the reason it didn't work properly and messed Win10 (or maybe it was the lack of partition knowledge =p). Now I used a much better one, a 16GB 3.0 usb.

Then I'd suggest switching over since you just installed it and don't have much on it yet ;).

You can play minecraft on linux and it doesn't 'require' windows 10. In my personal experience it is better to play minecraft on linux if you have an old computer.

Like Carnage said, it is better to use something Debian based like ubuntu if you are new to linux. If you would like to stick with solus, an easy way to get the commands to install an application is to search google in this format: 'how to install <application name> linux'.
In this case, "how to install <application name> solus"
;)

But still, just get ubuntu ;)
Either Ubuntu or Mint - can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:
You guys got it wrong, I know Minecraft works on linux too. What I meant by "requires" - I was referring to when I try to play in Win10. I should've switch "the game requires Windows 10..." to "the game wants Windows 10...".

The only one that requires Windows 10 is the "MInecraft Windows 10 Edition" which is basically just the mobile version of Minecraft running on Win10.
Yes, I'm aware of that, I played the demo.

In this case, "how to install <application name> solus"
I will try that. If I still can't manage to install the apps, I'll try Mint, then.

Blaaaahhh, so confusing! xD I'll do Mint.
But what do I do now? When I reinstalled Win10 after that mess with the other usb, I saved half the space of my storage for the distro. During the installation of the distro, I had to format the saved storage so I could proceed. Do I leave it? Do I just do the installation process of Mint and it'll just overwrite Solus?

Last edited by a moderator:
Blaaaahhh, so confusing! xD I'll do Mint.
But what do I do now? When I reinstalled Win10 after that mess with the other usb, I saved half the space of my storage for the distro. During the installation of the distro, I had to format the saved storage so I could proceed. Do I leave it? Do I just do the installation process of Mint and it'll just overwrite Solus?

Just wipe the partition you created for Solus during the Mint install and install on that same partition.

Back
Top Bottom