how illegal would...

Status
Not open for further replies.

up-smash

In Runtime
How illegal would it be to help write a tool, or a program, or another nixe to be able to run .exe files on its own? I know wine exists but honestly it lacks power...

The only way it would exist is if you reverse engineer some of the technologies used by Windows. Like DirectX to get those things that use those items to work properly. Just getting .exe files to work is not illegal itself as it is just a extension. But the program may use technologies that would be illegal to reverse engineer.

The only way it would exist is if you reverse engineer some of the technologies used by Windows. Like DirectX to get those things that use those items to work properly. Just getting .exe files to work is not illegal itself as it is just a extension. But the program may use technologies that would be illegal to reverse engineer.

I'm no expert but I don't think that can be right.
Directx is probably provided as a set of dynamic libraries so yes, while your exe-runner would have to understand how to use dynamic libraries generally, you would not have to reverse engineer specific dlls or anything like that.

While that maybe true which is why Wine does work in some games, it is fully true when it comes to DX10 and now DX11. This is the main reason why the DX10 project to export it to XP was stopped. Cause it had to reverse engineer some aspects of DX10 which are considered closed source and Microsoft has the copyright for it.

So yes while it may work for games that are DX9 and lower, the truth is still that if it requires any part to be reverse engineered for any Windows program it would violate the Terms of Use. Even Windows has it stated right in the EULA during the install that you will not reverse engineer any aspect of the OS.

So no if you just need to use libraries then it wouldnt. But if you have to reverse engineer anything that deals with the Windows OS itself you would be treading into illegal territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom