How to get started?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't life in the Ubuntu side brighter? I love finding out about a program, being able to open up the terminal, typing apt-get, then BAM, it's downloaded and installed.

Isn't life in the Ubuntu side brighter? I love finding out about a program, being able to open up the terminal, typing apt-get, then BAM, it's downloaded and installed.

It's all about perception. Some people like to go through all the steps for manually installing apps. Most don't and that's one of the reasons Linux hasn't caught on in the main stream.

It's all about perception. Some people like to go through all the steps for manually installing apps. Most don't and that's one of the reasons Linux hasn't caught on in the main stream.

In my few experiences with Linux, I noticed that it has an Ãœber-smooth look, very futuristic even compared to OSX. If I were on a space-ship, I'd expect to see something like Linux.

Anyways, having grown up on the Windows scheme of installing "Next > Are you sure? > Where > Who > Are you sure? > Sorry that won't work try again" I was befuddled when I first got into OSX, you just drag and drop your application into Applications on your Finder. I said "No. It's not that simple." and sometimes I still don't believe it actually works.

There are a few apps which have the Windows-esque GUI for installation, but those are usually large complex programs, like CS4 in my case.

Being that Linux is a command, I would feel more sure about that, since a command is just that, not a deceptive GUI.

I believe I did not, well properly at least.

There's a set of programs installed by default (or easily installable after installation) that are free on Ubuntu.
Equivalent programs, like these on Ubuntu, would cost upwards of 5 grand on Windows.

Hence, Ubuntu comes with software that is "valued" at 5 grand, but available for free since open source software is just so darn amazing.

There's a set of programs installed by default (or easily installable after installation) that are free on Ubuntu.
Equivalent programs, like these on Ubuntu, would cost upwards of 5 grand on Windows.

Hence, Ubuntu comes with software that is "valued" at 5 grand, but available for free since open source software is just so darn amazing.

Yeah, I was watching a documentary on Linux - or maybe reading about it... my brain "animates" whatever I read so sometimes I remember something that I read as if it was a movie or actually happened...

Anyways, they brought up a good point about Open Source anything - do you want something that is written behind closed doors which no one else can look at or criticize???

When something is open source, any flaws can be tackled by anyone and everyone. If someone has a better way of doing it, that gets incorporated. If someone has a fix, or something to add, it gets added.

Well in the long run, Linux has gotten better because of those people behind closed doors. You seem like a tech-savvy user, Sparky mate. have been using Ubuntu for a few months now, you'll love it; I think so anyway.

While it seems you have come to a decision, I just like to submit my two cents. Have you thought about just taking one of your Windows PCs and using the Wubi installer*?

*The Wubi installer will ask you about what size you would like the partition, what language, and some other basic information.

Well, I hope my post has helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom