How to enable network on Linux?

Alrighty, I'm using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon right now and I gotta say... it's smooth AF. I can browse the web faster than windows 10. But, there are a few things I'm not understanding; this is the second time booting the OS from the USB, and all the data from the last session is gone, how and why? I could also access the volume with all my stuff from Win10, and now I can't, pops up this message:

Unable to mount 499 GB Volume
Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/mint/A49EF75F9EF72886: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=999,gid=999,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda2" "/media/mint/A49EF75F9EF72886"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

I read the "Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting)" part, and I did shut it down fully; I'm gonna try again and reboot the OS to see if the same happens.

Last edited:
Make sure you do a full shutdown and then start back up. The Fast Startup setting in Power Options for Win8/10 can cause funky issues when trying to mount in Linux. Could also need a chkdsk ran on it.

Back
Top Bottom