How to enable network on Linux?

Crenewer

In Runtime
I booted my laptop with a bootable disk, (SparkyLinux), but I have no Internet connection. Do I need to install drivers? 'Cause the Linux OS is not installed on the Local Disk, I booted it with a USB - which leads me to another question, if it booted the OS like that without the need to install it in the Hard Drive, will it work with any OS?
Forgive my lack of knowledge with this stuff, lol.

Are you wired in? or trying on wifi?

Run on wire and run an update to pick up drivers, if it doesnt work on wire, run this command to check if Linux can see the hardware:
lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet

right click on the Network Manager applet and be sure "Enable networking" is checked. Network Manager automatically disables all devices if this option is unchecked

if that didn't work, try running Code:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
sudo ifconfig eth0 up

Please post any errors you get from this.

You can check if the hardware is soft/hard blocked by using: sudo rfkill list

If you find its soft blocked run: sudo rfkill unblock all

If it is hardblocked then check your laptop for a wifi toggle/ switch.

I'm not wired in and I can't find the cable from the router.
Networking is enabled.
I tried using that command, but I can't distinguish the "l"s and "I"s; also, the OS' keyboard keys are messed up, and I don't know how to change it to PT keyboard.
Those two commands did nothing.

Last edited:
You may want to try linux mint instead as its a little more linux newb friendly.

+1 to this suggestion

Plus, if the live CD is lacking drivers for your card...you can't really "install" them. You'd have to install the drivers each and every time you boot off of the stick unless you set it up to be a persistent install on a bootable flash drive.

+1 to this suggestion

Plus, if the live CD is lacking drivers for your card...you can't really "install" them. You'd have to install the drivers each and every time you boot off of the stick unless you set it up to be a persistent install on a bootable flash drive.

Yeah dont get me wrong sparkylinux is a good distro, but its debian base can be a hinderance

So, Linux Mint has the network drivers already?
And which version do you recommend?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom