How to dual boot with Windows 7 and LinuxMint 18 KDE?

risingvendetta

Solid State Member
Hi,

I'm trying to add Linux Mint to my desktop that is running Windows 7. I want to devide the HDD into three. One Windows. Second one Linux, and the third just for data. (be easier for me to use files that work for both os)

How do I do this properly? And would this effect windows somehow in performance?

Thanks.

I think you should be able to repartition your hard drive with gparted but you need to be careful and make sure you have a recent back up of your data. You'll want a windows partition, a data partition, a linux partition and ideally, a small swap partition. Dual booting does not affect the performance of either operating system.

When you are installing Linux Mint and you are at the partition screen there should be an option to install it along side windows. Linux Mint will partition everything for you. There is enough a slider so you can tell Linux Mint how much space you out for its installation and what you want for the windows installation. After you install Linux mint you can just divide the windows partition within windows through computer management. That would probably be the easiest way for you. Try following this: Install Linux Mint 10 Julia. When you get to the partition section see the attached photo.
lm8_9.gif

Back
Top Bottom