How Do I set up remoted desktop between 2 linux boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
VNC easily usable between XP-to-Ubuntu + Ubuntu-to-XP?

Very easy! It doesn't matter what OS you're viewing or serving on, so connections from XP to XP are no different from XP to Ubuntu from Ubuntu to Ubuntu etc, it's all the same. Ubuntu has built-in VNC out of the box, so you don't even need to install anything, just Remote Desktop under the system menu, type a password, and go. For XP machines use TightVNC or UltraVNC to serve/view. I had my home server set up as Ubuntu with VNC, but when I had to switch it to XP, nothing changed, using TightVNC I could access it just as easily from my XP laptop as Ubuntu.

This VNC seems to be a closed-source pay-for software.

Why go with that when you got the free software built exactly for the purpose you need?

Apart from the obvious $ and closed-source problems, you actually add an extra layer on the Xserver communication when there is no need at all.

It's like having an ethernet lan between two computers and you create a VLAN ontop of it. No point to.

A reason to use VNC would be to grab an app already running on your home computer since to my knowledge you can't do that on X.

On the xp-ubuntu thing: Nothing changes, you just need to run X on your windows machine. Best bet is cygwin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom