How Do I Configure My Internet Connection With Mandrake 10.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I got when I ran "ifconfig"

Linkencap: Local Loopback
inet LOOKBACK RUNNING MT4: 16436 Metric: 1
RX Packets: 58 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
TX Packets: 58 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carrier: 0
collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 0
RX bytes: 3808 (3.7KB) TX bytes: 3808 (3.7KB)

-Dan The Man

aaaaah, well I need a couple more pieces of info and we will fix that

how do you connect?ethernet to hub to a router or cable modem, or ethernet right to a cable modem or what?

if so, static IP or DHCP where another box picks one for you?(cable modem is like this usually)

ya its empty, LAN device isnt up or running

ok type---> route, it should only show the loopback

if you use a static IP and connect thru a gateway(router or another box), follow steps way above

ifconfig eth0 -net<static_ip_this_box> netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add -net <subnet_box_is_on>
route add default gw <ip_address_of_router>
add DNS #'s to /etc/resolv.conf ------->thats a file that holds the DNS #'s, add a line like this:
namserver 24.95.80.45 just an example, put your #'s in there

ignore the above, thats for static IP

ok, go here and start searching and then sign up and ask if you dont find it, they have a mandrake forum

http://www.linuxquestions.org

some linux distro's handle DHCP differently, and some ISP's require different settings, roadrunner usually doesnt, and thats what I use, at this point there isnt much I can do other than maybe diagnose whats going on, so far your device has no IP and im guessing the routing table is empty cept for loopback too

oh wait a second, does the router issue a dhcp line, or is it static, if is static do the above, that will work

if not, get the DHCP settings from that router and go from there

well if there's more to it than just telling it to use DHCP your router must be expecting some special settings before it will lease a line, I have no clue what mandrake has for options in its network GUI

the linux distro's change a bit from flavor to flavor with dhcp, in slackware there's a config file in the /etc directory, ive never had to change those settings, its commented though and explains what each one does

goto linuxquestions.org and mandrakes site and start poking around, this is one of those cases where im not going to be able to help much really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom