How Do I Configure My Internet Connection With Mandrake 10.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OIDanTheManIO

Fully Optimized
I just installed Mandrake 10.0 on another partition and I CAN NOT figure out how to setup my ethernet card (on-board) and configure my connection to the internet. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

-Dan The Man

which GUI are you in, or console?

what kind of ethernet card?

LAN with static IP or DHCP?

off the top of my head, check the menu if your in KDE as root and look for a system admin menu and go from there, should be a networking choice someplace, comes standard with KDE, if not, the old fashioned way is easy and straight to the point

in console mode as root type:
lspci---> to see if card is recognized by kernel
lsmod----->is driver loaded yet?if not do next line
modprobe <driver>
ifconfig eth0 <static IP address> -net <netmask> up, if that syntax fails do "man ifconfig" and check man page
then add appropriate nameserver lines to /etc/resolv.conf file with a text editor
then do: route add -net <subnet_IP> and then do:route add default gw <ip of gateway>
That will get you all set for a static IP, for DHCP ive no clue for mandrake, before going thru all the above, try typing "net" in a console and then the tab key 2 or 3 times and see what pops up, the autocomplete might show something like "netconfig", use that instead

tell me what kind of card you have and I'll find the driver name for you, they are abbreviated, you can find the list in the /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file if you have too, probably a list in the kernel files too........ive been doing it long enough I just usually know off the top of my head, they usually do it like this:a 3com509 card would be 3c509, but a realtek8139c would be rtl8139too, its a little weird sometimes

so far cant find what freakin chipset that thing uses, windows drivers seems to be 823 something and works across a whole range of matsonic boards

ok if its recognized, open up a terminal and type:
lsmod and tell me what that shows
lspci and tell me if that network device is listed
ifconfig and whats that show?

horndude said:
ok if its recognized, open up a terminal and type:
lsmod and tell me what that shows
lspci and tell me if that network device is listed
ifconfig and whats that show?

The first two both list it. I will run the last one listed now. Don't go anywhere, I'll be right back.

-Dan The Man

I know mandrake has a GUI for this, nothing wrong with doing it the hardway though, good to learn it

I've already set a connection up using the GUI in Mandrake, but it still won't work, that's my problem!

-Dan The Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom