how can I open my dvd drive to continue install ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

illnastyimpreza

In Runtime
ok so I'm installing WoW on my new rig that I installed linux on. This is my FIRST time running Linux... when the game tells me I need to insert disc 2, the computer tells me a program is preventing unmount of the drive or something...

How do I get the dvd drive OPEN so I can continue installation ??

Linux is WIERD !

It sounds like it's still reading the CD despite the game telling you it needs CD2. Whenever something is preventing to be unmounted, it means that it's still being used by another process.

Try opening your home directory (Places - Home). On the left side, all of your media (cd rom drives, dvd rom drives, and hard drives) are listed. Find your DVD drive to which WoW is in and hit the check box circle thing on the right side. That is to "unmount" the DVD. Give that a shot and see if unmounting it you have any luck.

EDIT: I downloaded the game from online, and now have no idea how to get it running...I am a Linux NEWB !

ok I gave up on the CD install, and just downloaded the game from the blizzard website. Its all downloaded, ready to go. I double click the exe to start the game, and it loads all messed up, the graphics are TOTALLY un recognizable, then it quits with an error about memory or someething ???

I'm totaly new to linux and have NO idea exactly how I'm sapposed to run programs...

when I am running a windows program do I need to install it in a special place, and open it with WINE only ?? Can I NOT just double click it to open ?

Right click the file and go to properties, then open with tab. Is it trying to open with wine?

You have to understand, Linux is completely different than Windows. .Exe's are made for Windows specifically. If you go to a Mac it'll have no idea what you're trying to do. Linux however has an emulator style program known as Wine, which I'm sure you're well aware of.

Wine was developed to help people who need certain Windows programs adapt to using Linux more and more. Over time, games fell into the mix and now gamers are often running Linux and gaming with Wine.

So, to put it simply, without Wine, you have no games. Period. Done. You need Wine to run the game. It should open, and graphics may have to be calibrated. I personally do not play WoW and have not seen anybody try to install it in Ubuntu to help you with calibrating graphics.

I must advise you, although these forums here are great for getting questions answered, ubuntuforums.org may have a wider range of individuals who could aide you better in fixing this problem. I personally use both forums, but something like gaming with Ubuntu, ubuntuforums.org may be better suited to help you.

So, to put it simply, without Wine, you have no games. Period. Done. You need Wine to run the game. It should open, and graphics may have to be calibrated. I personally do not play WoW and have not seen anybody try to install it in Ubuntu to help you with calibrating graphics.

Not totally true. As there are games that are compatble with Linux without Wine. ;)

As for WoW your best resource other than the Ubuntu Forums will be WinHQ.

WineHQ - World of Warcraft

Many people haev got it working and says it works. Maybe your best option is to try and contact one of them to see what must be done.

Not totally true. As there are games that are compatble with Linux without Wine. ;)

As for WoW your best resource other than the Ubuntu Forums will be WinHQ.

WineHQ - World of Warcraft

Many people haev got it working and says it works. Maybe your best option is to try and contact one of them to see what must be done.

Ahh yes, I see the error in the way I worded that. I was thinking one thing (in regards to WoW only since WoW isn't Linux-native) but saying another (about ALL games).

Point proven. ^5

Just semantics my friend. Just trying to make sure that it is understood that there ae Linux games out there. As someone might not read it from a stand point of a Windows based game.

You may want to try Crossover. According to the website WoW is supported by crossover.

really?? exactly what is crossover ?? is it a windows launcher like wine ?

I currently have the game working. So far no real "problems". BUT it works smoother on my dinosaur computer, p4 2.0 gig, 2gb ram & HD2600xt card ON WINDOWS .....strange indeeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom