Hey

Status
Not open for further replies.

theillestg69

Baseband Member
I did read the sticky. Ok I have a 8 gig HD that isj ust laying around. And I want to install linux onto it. How would I do that? Where would I get hold of a Linux Auto Installer? If that is what it is called.

First- Figure out which distro you want to use. SuSE and Mandrake are 2 I would suggest for new linux users.

Download SuSE ISO's here: http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofessional/downloads/suse_linux/instructions_eval.html

And Download Mandrake 10.1 ISO's here:
http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29

Simply Download those ISO's and put them onto a CD, when you fit them all on, boot from the CD and run the installer (both are very easy to use). After that just ssetup anything else you need.

Do I need both? Or just one? Also, I am looking at the download files, I see CD ISO disc 1-5. Do I have to download all of them? Also what is md5 sum?

Only download one of the Distros. For new Linux users, Mandrake 10.1 would be the best, easy to use and it's smaller than SuSE 9.3.

So, open one of the sites (distro of your choice) and download ALL of the CD's, and then put the ISO's onto a disk (I assume you know how to do that).

Just click on CD 1, 2, 3, 4 , 5. Download all of them to your computer. Or only 3 if you are getting Mandrake.

Ya. I know how to do that. Ok I want to put it on a cumpter that has NO OS. It is just a blank HD. Will mandrake set it up?

Yeah, just don't mess with the boot partitions and partitions at all. Let Mandrake's installer do everything. Also, make sure you enter the bios and start the computer to load the CD first (boot from the CD).

Yup completely aware on how to do that. How much space does this take up out of my 8 gig which is probaly like 7 gigs mayybe....

It should get on there just fine with room to spare for some music and videos. I have about 9 gb used up on my 27 gb partition for Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom