HELP!!! needed on installing Linux on an existing Windows machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

KornNut

In Runtime
I decided to be brave and try to install Linux on my computer. I have the program "partition magic" I thought it was idiot proof... I ran it in windows xp and it led me throught the steps to partition the drive for linux and another partition for a "linux swap". It did its thing and prompted me to restart the computer. When I did, I got a "missing operating system" error. I figured maybe because I had to install Linux...
So I installed the mandrake linux 7.2 that came with a book I have. It works great! When I start up the computer this "GRUB" bootselector comes up were I can select from Linux and a grub command line and some other stuff. My problem is I can no longer load windows xp....
I have been researching online and it said to add the following lines in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

It get this error when I try to chose Windows XP from GRUB.

"Filename must be either an absolute filename or blocklist"

I found out it the error means...
"This error is returned if a file name is requested which doesn't fit the syntax/rules listed in the section Filesystem syntax and semantics. "

So I am really not sure what is wrong. I don't know if it is the partition or something wrong in the master boot record or wrong grub commands... I have no idea. When I paritioned the C drive for the linux partition and the linux swap partition, it was partition AFTER the windows partition. Anyways...PLEASE HELP ME. Or if you know anything to point me in the right direction. I have no idea what to do..

There are third party software, like "vmware" that will allow the installation of OS's on top of a 'base' OS (ie: Windows XP base OS, with Linux Redhat, Dos 6, Fedora, etc running on top of vmware). Many computer academic students have harddrives with multiple OS's installed (and using this type of system. Dual boot from bios is risky. Beware: vmware hogs a lot of system resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom