help with modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
the manufacturers website told me i have a hsf type modem.
but suse is telling me that its hcf.
there are 2 drivers, which one should i use??

try both one at a time, if it doesnt work, nothing bad will happen, it just wont work and will kick out an error message.

try the suse one first

when i select the hcf one extract it, then open it and select install in yast, it tells me these packages returned runtime error. hcfpcimodem

when i use the hsf one extract it, open it and select insall in yast, you see the computer working and it actually looks like it installed successfully. when its 100% completed the window closes and nothing happens.

i still look under the network -> modem, but still don't see anything new.

Im not sure how yast works or if I would use in a case like this, from a terminal type as root:
lsmod

whats that give you?
Are the modem drivers listed?
put the drivers in the appropriate module location then use insmod to tryto insert them into the system and see what happens, if that doesnt work then chances are your not going to be able get the modem to work.

ok, i did both lsmod and lspci, i see my modem on it.

however i think there is a problem. when i'm booting up, it says starting hsf software modem, and then follows that it says starting hcf connection pci modem.

what should i do about that??

where is the correct location to put the files??

/lib/modules/kernelseries#/net usually

doesnt sound like there's any problem so far, does the modem work now?

ok, did what you guys told me to. there were 2 files, so i checked both boxes and installed the driver. it used cd 3 and cd 5.

i restarted and when it was booting up i pressed f2 and i saw my modem's name.
when i went into modem i still didn't see it. and further investigation i looked at the hardware section and saw my modem listed under pci, with correct name and settings. under the driver section is said, driver active, and driver installed.

so if the driver is installed, and i see the name at the boot up, why don't i see it under the modem tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom