Help with Knoppix STD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ustacp

Solid State Member
Can someone explain to me how to setup a internet connection on Knoppix STD. I am using a cable modem via ethernet. Thank you.

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqNetwork

browse thru there and see if that helps

try "lspci" from a terminal and see if your netowrk card is detected

also try "ifconfig" and see what it shows

knoppix uses debian type setup, so most debian specific stuff will work

never worked with it myself, but I can tell you what your trying to achieve:

ethernet card is probably eth0, you want that setup to use dhcp

if the card is detected but not set up you might be able to just do something like "ifconfig eth0 inet dhcp" or something similar

you might also need to enter some dns #'s so you dont have host resolution problems, not sure where knoppix puts that stuff but I'd guess its in /etc/resolv.conf

The way I set mine up when I use Knoppix STD is, I right click on the desktop. This brings up a menu, go to Internet, Connect, netcard config. A window will pop up asking "Use DHCP Broadcast" Click yes.

I post this so you don't have to go to the command line just yet, since it sounds like you're just starting to play with Knoppix.

Its saying network card not detected. Also how do I get to the command prompt?

right click or whatever to find a menu, you want a terminal or console window.

remember DOS, same deal, blank window with a prompt, you can enter text commands from there

Only difference is with linux there's a whole lot more commands to learn, uses the same basic set as UNIX.

typing 'help' should give you a list

tyoing 'man" <command_name> will give you an online manual for the command you enter, linux comes with its own docs built in :)

I was just trying to give him the point and click method, thought it might be easier.

If it's telling you that it can't find your network card, I don't know. Listen to horndude's advice, he knows a whole lot more than I do.

Ok i gave up on knoppix STD. I could not even find the terminal in it. I am trying out Fedora now. I have a new post in the forum on it with more info then I had with Knoppix. Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom