Help with Dial-Up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex4R

In Runtime
I have searched and searched literally for the past 2 days, and asked on linux specific forums with no luck. I finally got an external serial modem. I am using ppp to connect. The modem will dial, and you can hear it squealing like it is connecting, and then theres silence for about 10-15 seconds and then you just hear the modem disconnect. At first I thought maybe I got my username/password incorrect, because it is LONG (I use RASspy.exe to work around NetZero's software). So I copy it directly into notepad and open it in Ubuntu and it is correct. Next, I thought maybe the DNS settings should be set to dynamic rather than static, so I changed that. No luck. Then after some more research, I found that people couldn't connect unless they disabled their network, so I disabled network eth0. Still nothing. Then I found that someone had used CHAP authentication rather than PAP, which is what it was set on. So I changed that and STILL no luck. Then, I used the DNS that Windows DUN connected to, and set the IP to static using the DNS. That didn't help either.

Can anyone help? Thanks! :)

Yes, pppd is installed. When I tupe 'sudo pppd' (assuming this shows the modem log) it says "The remote system is required to authenticate itself but i couldn't find any sutable secret password for it to use to do so. (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)"

So maybe for some reason it is rejecting my password? It accepts the same one in windows though.. Am I supposed to re-enter the password somewhere for authentication?

Thanks for the reply, horndude! :D

that isnt the modem log, pppd is a daemon, it activates itself when the modem makes a legit connection and is responsible for maintaining the connection and getting the IP address from the ISP.

you need to see what the modem log is, it could be a variety of places, /var/log/pppd or /var/log/modem/? or even in your home directory in a hidden file "."something, dont know where it is for sure

until you can get a look at exactly what the modem is doing there's no way to figure out whats happening

does netzero have any docs on this deal, last I recall they claim to be linux compatible

They aren't actually "linux compatible". They require you to use their software to connect, and their debian package will only work on Lindows. I am using a program called RASspy that tells you your real username and password. You would write your normal username and password into the NetZero software like user@netzero.net and password doggytreat, but this will show you the REAL username, and it will be something like lidhe394.HQ2:username@netzero.net and password 934$2$!49.

I will look for the modem log in the directories you listed. Do you have an idea of what the file might be called? I searched for "modem" and "modemlog" but it didn't find anything.

Thanks!

no, no clue, it may be called dialer log or something else, what dialer are you using?You may want to look at the hidden files in your home directory if your using kppp or gnome's dialer, sometimes it will hidden in there, some dialers are just a front end to wvdial(popular dialer program)

kppp has its own log you can look at while using it

well, ive been looking around and it seems ubuntu people have been having problems with ppp altogether regardless of ISP, not exactly sure why other than maybe some of ubuntu's automated networking is interfering somehow

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DialupModemHowto

check /etc/pppusers or wherever that file is and see if its got an entry for you in there, also check /etc/group and see if there's one for ppp

also follow the steps in that wiki I linked above and see what happens

That is the original wiki file i used to help me set it up. I did find the pppd log though, and this is what it reads:

#Send id
#Serial connection established
#Using interface ppp0
#Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
#LCP: timeout sending config requests

I also tried an alternative ISP, and it didn't work either.

ok, well the modem is working, and so is the ppp daemon, at this point all I can guess is that it isnt getting th proper DNS info or your not listed as a user for ppp, try runnin it as root and see what happens, that should at least eliminate the user issue, other than that im clueless as to what the problem is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom