Has anybody tinkered around with Hardy Heron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Due to lack of support with Gutsy and my laptop's wireless and sound, my laptop turned into an XP machine. However, a lot of people have been speculating much broader support for a lot of uncommon devices with the release of Hardy Heron.

I know only the unstable release is out right now, but I'm going to give it a try since I have a 10gb partition to mess around with on the laptop.

Has anybody else used it? What are your thoughts?

if you want to know if your hardware is supported all you have to do is check the kernel version being used, they come with changelogs :)

It's out? My Gutsy partition has been kinda left in the dust since I put my Radeon back in my HP and reformatted Windows, and due to the lack of good ATi drivers (that is supposed to be fixed in 8.04), I might give it a try. Now I need to find out where to get it.

Ha. Sweet. My LiveCD won't even boot. It hangs after the boot screen while it loads all of the necessary items for the rest of the OS to load up, just prior to the login screen.

disable ACPI and/or IRQ bus mastering and see what happens, laptops have funky hardware, even the new ones

linux kernel has issues with some of the PIA's used sometimes too

I updated to Hardy and gnome won't load. I've been using FVWM-Crystal for the last week.

They still have like 4 months to go before Hardy is released. It's probably in like the Alpha stage isn't it?

Just got a LiveCD of Hardy Heron Alpha 3. It booted without issue and presented me with a very 7.10-ish desktop minus the background. There's only one background (the brown elephant skin one) and it's off by default, so the default desktop is just ugly tan-yellow color. I did notice that the LiveCD ran very smoothly (didn't install it, going to try Ubuntu Studio maybe first). I then tried to get drivers for my graphics card (ATi Radeon X1600Pro) so I searched for 'fglrx' in Synaptic. It said it had an error getting 'xorg-driver-fglrx', so I went to Software Sources and enabled restricted drivers. Finally got it installed, but "sudo aticonfig --initial" (sets up fglrx) complained that xorg.conf wasn't set up right...yet graphics were working fine (not accelerated, but the GUI was up). I tried a few times then did ctrl+alt+backspace (restart X) and then my Gnome panels (the top and bottom taskbars) wouldn't function, they weren't responding to clicks...so I tried again, and this time they didn't show up at all. I figure it's not ready yet :)

You can just apt-get all the ubuntustudio packages.

sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video ubuntustudio-audio-plugins usplash-theme-ubuntustudio ubuntustudio-wallpapers

No need to reformat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom