Hardy sees laptop LCD as 800x600, not 1600x1200...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
I can't get Hardy to get my laptop's resolution right. It's a 1600x1200 15.4" panel but Hardy only sees it as 800x600, supporting only 640x480 and 800x600. The card is an ATi Mobility Rage 128 M3, using either "ati" or "r128" drivers. Gutsy worked fine on this computer, but Hardy is having issues. I think it has to with Hardy's half-implemented automatic X configuring, where it still uses xorg.conf but just puts autoconfig stuff in...which doesn't make sense why you'd even need a xorg.conf, and editing it to add mode lines doesn't seem to work.

I can say that Herdon is having issues with GFX drivers overall. It did not want to install the Restricted drviers for my nvidia card at first. Even after it did i had to force install the nvidia control panel. So i think it is just to early for the drivers to have all the bugs worked out.

The nVidia drivers worked perfectly for both my new laptop's GeForce 8600M GS as well as my old GeForce4 MX420, don't know why you'd be having issues there, and my Radeon, although the fglrx drivers won't work so no 3d acceleration, gets the resolution right out of the box.

I'll try the steps mentioned in the other post and see.

[EDIT] Since the card uses open source drivers, I can't really "uninstall" the r128 and ati drivers. The drivers are installed by default, not with the restricted drivers manager. Hopefully they'll get an update out soon, posted this question on Ubuntu Forums, hopefully they'll have an answer.

It isnt so much that i am having a issue with them. They work. But i had to force instal the setup utility. Also when i rebooted after installing the driver i got a warning about the driver being from a closed source or something like that and it would not be supported by Ubuntu.

But the drivers work. I got my dual monitors working and everything. Just have to figure out why the Emerald Theme Manager doesnt work....

Any time you use a restricted driver it tells you that warning, just ignore it. As for emerald, make sure it's enabled. I enabled it by installing the Compiz tray icon and then selecting Emerald as the decorator from its drop-down menu.

As for my laptop, still no luck :(

It isnt so much that i am having a issue with them. They work. But i had to force instal the setup utility. Also when i rebooted after installing the driver i got a warning about the driver being from a closed source or something like that and it would not be supported by Ubuntu.

But the drivers work. I got my dual monitors working and everything. Just have to figure out why the Emerald Theme Manager doesnt work....

I think they're having problems with Emerald working with Hardy.

Any time you use a restricted driver it tells you that warning, just ignore it. As for emerald, make sure it's enabled. I enabled it by installing the Compiz tray icon and then selecting Emerald as the decorator from its drop-down menu.

As for my laptop, still no luck :(
Thanks for the tip. I will have to check it out after my XP Image finishes....
I think they're having problems with Emerald working with Hardy.
Read the post above.:p

*Edit*

Alright Cal...I have tried this. I have the Advanced settings manager isntalled. But i can not find the option to turn on Emerald. Can you give me a heads up on hwo to do it??

Install the package "fusion-icon" (I just searched Synaptic for "compiz" and found tons of stuff, I noticed fusion-icon earlier today when I was setting up 8.04 on my Sempron, and installed it to try it out). It will be in the Applications -> System (or System Tools, in Vista right now so I forget). Click it and you'll get a little Compiz logo icon in your notification area (Linux system tray thing). Right click it, you should have options to configure Compiz and Emerald, and under that should be some options. Go to "Window Decorator" and then select "Emerald". That should turn Emerald on, then you can use the Emerald config thing (you have to have installed the "emerald" package first) to configure it and install Emerald themes. With the tray icon you can also quickly disable or enable Compiz/Emerald if you need extra CPU power or GPU power.

Thanks. I will have to reboot to see if it works i guess. Cause it is not working as of right now. Other than that i think i got Ubuntu working for what i do with it.

Net, Music, Email, IM

I really do not do much else in Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom