hard to install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
distros like red hat, mandrake, suse can be done right out of the box. distros like slackware, debian and gentoo need to be compiled one way or another.

i tried gentoo as a newcomer and it didnt work out for me. my suggestion, get red hat or mandrake.

I have good experience with fedora, the free red hat, and it was a striaght forward install, nice distro.

I have a very limited knowledge of Linux, and I managed to install Slackware 10.0 with extreme ease. However, Mandrake 10.1 is probably better for a beginner.

There all easy, theres lots and lots of resorces for installing linux on anything. Just remember these people make distros for people to use... they wont try and make it hard. Just remember some one out there has tried to make it easy, you just need to see from there perspective. :)

I'd say dl dsl (www.damnsmalllinux.org) as it is not big (about 50 MB). You may have to install some more packages from the repository, but overall its pretty kickass. Not only does it use a user repository (very cool), but it also accepts any debian package to be installed on it. It also has an install script.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom