hard drive partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCNK

Solid State Member
I'm looking to try to install fedora core 3 linux on my pc which already has windows XP.

On my software that allows me to repartition my hard drive, what system type do I want setup the new partition for? The choices are: FAT16, NTFS, Ext2Fs, Ext3Fs, LSwap, LSwap-2, and HPFS.

I'm a major noob to anything outside of windows, so please bear with me through the "stupid" questions that I might have. I'm trying to find answers to my questions before I ask, but the above question, I can't seem to find an answer for.

Thanks

SCNK

you should add an ext2 for your root, swap and home. root should be anywhere in between 800-5000 mb. swap should be roughly double your RAM. home could be anything. I reccomend using the rest of your disk

Linux only requires root and swap. I would make your download directory the biggest. you can make of a directory like /share if you like. buy home is your best bet unless you share over the network.

That sound confusing doesn't it. Linux has a different files system. I just has one hierarchy where microsoft has many. AKA C: and D: drives. the master HD is named hda and the first partition is hda1. you can use hda1 as the root (/). You can also mount the second partition hda2 as swap(virtual memory) and hda3 you can mount any where. Lets just make it the biggest partition and mount it as the /home directory. Anything you put in home will be on hda3 partition. make them ext2 unless you want a journalizing filesystem.

I was able to get fedora core 3 installed. However, I can't get a driver for my cable modem...I've definitely got a lot to learn having used nothing but windows machines up to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom