Guide on how to install and dual boot Linux from a computer with Win 7 on it?

mattl148

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

For a new job opportunity I have to learn Linux and the hiring lady suggested I actually install it on my machine to get a feel for it before doing the interview. I've looked for guides online and a lot of them seem to be a lot more complicated than it needs to be, installing it through probably 100 different methods. I'm just looking for a very simple method of getting a Linux OS like Ubuntu on my Dell PC that's already running windows 7 and being able to dual boot in it to mess around. A point in the right direction to a very straight forward and accurate guide would be great. Thanks a lot.

The reality is, there *are* 100 ways to install Linux and Windows together. I tend to do things the more manual way, but there's several options on the table. You can go through the automated installer and opt to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7, which will automatically resize things on the fly. I prefer to do it manually. Here's what I do with my installs:

Boot to Ubuntu LiveCD or LiveUSB flash drive
Select "Try Ubuntu without installing to this computer"
Open GParted (weapon of mass destruction - handle with care)
Select your Windows 7 partition which will likely be noted as NTFS
Select resize, and downsize it accordingly, leaving enough space at the end for Ubuntu. If you just want to try it out for a bit without diving too deep with hundreds of movies and music files, you can leave about 15GB for it.
Apply changes (this could take a while)
Once done, open the installer (icon on desktop) and go through the installer process.

Once you get to the partitioning menu, there will be an option for manual, advanced, or "something else"... I forget exactly what it lists as. Once done, you'll want to create two partitions. One for swap, one for root. Root is denoted by a / mark. Any time you see /, it means root. Root is the "root" of the entire system. The core. The heart.

For example:

250GB HDD

235GB - NTFS (Windows 7) - NOT CHECKED for format
2GB - Swap
13GB - / - checked for format

Ubuntu will wipe out the Windows boot loader and use its own. Don't worry, it's programmed to work with Windows as well. Once completed you'll boot up and see some options listed. You may see Ubuntu 3.2.etc.etc.etc, Ubuntu 3.2.etc.etc.etc (recovery), Memtest86, and finally, Windows 7. Select either the first option to boot to Ubuntu or the Windows option to boot to Win 7.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom