GRUB loading, please wait... error 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

j12

Daemon Poster
I have windows vista on my laptop and i wanted ubuntu 7.10 on it so i partitioned the 80gb hdd into a 10gb and a 70gb, and i set up a dual boot. So i install ubuntu onto the 10gb partition successfully. But after a while needed those 10gb's back so i went into windows vista and i formated the 10gb partition just as storate. Yes windows gave me the little warning, "this partition contains data that may be recognized by other operating systems". So i formatted and have a 70gb and a 10gb hard drive both in windows vista. Then i try to restart and i get the GRUB loading, please wait.....error 17 message. Before, i was able to choose between booting up vista or ubuntu. And when i formatted the 10gb partition i expected to just automatically boot into vista when i turn on the computer. But now i get the error message. I kinda need to get back into vista because i have a lot of homework etc. saved on there.

Hmmm, I dont think that you are going to be able to fix this problem with windows. Especially since you can't even boot :( Perhaps trying a bootable CD like Knoppix will help you at least boot to linux and then resolve the problem? I would try there first. j12, do you even know linux? I can't remember if you did or not :(

The problem here is that GRUB looks for it's OS data entries (a list containing all the options like "Vista" and "Ubuntu" and the instructions and locations of each) on your Linux partition. When GRUB sees that your Linux partition is gone, it cannot find the list of OS'es, and also the main GRUB program is stored on the Linux partition. The low-level redirect placed on the Windows partition that redirects the PC to the Linux one gets confused, and returns the error.

The only things I can think of...I'd get a copy of Super Grub Disk and try out some options. You can use Super Grub Disk (a CD or floppy that has GRUB on it) to boot into Vista, so getting back in won't be a problem. However, permanently fixing this might be an issue. Try out some of the options on SGD, as there are some entries that supposedly fix Windows. The only other alternative I can think of is reinstalling Windows, thus formatting the broken GRUB redirect and installing over with a Windows bootloader.

Edit: Yeah, the site confirms that it can uninstall GRUB, so lucky for you, here's Super Grub Disk:

Super Grub Disk Webpage: Download

Super Grub Disk looks much easier than that :) You also apparently need a Vista CD, which means that's out of the question for most people that got Vista preloaded on their machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom