graphics drivers for ubuntu 8.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

f_lightning2001

Baseband Member
I did an install of ubuntu 8.04 and it doesn't see an restricted drivers that I need. And in the
System>>Preferences>>Appearance, it says "Desktop effects could not be enabled" whenever I try to set the Visual Effect to extra. Also I can't get any sound either. They both worked on my desktop but not my laptop.

eMachines M2350
Mobile AMD AtholonXP 2800+ 2.24GHz
512 MB RAM
ATI Radeon IGP 320M Graphics card

The 3D desktop effects worked on my desktop and I would like for them to work on my laptop. If anyone can give me some advice on that and the sound I would much appreciate it. Thanks.

ATI has little to no support for there cards in linux. If you look on the ubuntu forums you might have better luck, if you realy want the nice 3d effects upgrade to a nvidia card they have plenty support.

Kinda hard to upgrade to an nVidia card on a laptop...

The 320M may be pre-X1k so it might work with fglrx or the old radeon driver. Try System-Administration-Hardware Drivers and see if it finds ATi Fire GL or ATi Proprietary Driver or something like that. If it doesn't, you probably need to use the "radeon" driver.

The main problem is the R500 or R600 cards (X1k series and Radeon HD) because they have little to no support at all.

It doesn't show anything in the proprietary or restricted drivers except the one for my wireless card. How do I get it to get more drivers if at all possible. Or if there is another way. I am completely new to linux, could someone talk me step by step how to do it. Thanks.

I think what you need to do is use the "ati" or "radeon" drivers. However, I'm not even sure exactly how to go about changing it yet, the new screen and graphics system in 8.04 really changed the old configuration system.

im having exactly the same problem on my dell 600m. which is dumb, because with gutsy, i was able to use all the sweet graphic enhancements. havent looked into any drivers as of yet, i mostly just use it for web browsing and pronz.

Okay I got the 3d graphics to work however they were really jumpy and slowed my machine way down. Now I can't even remember the website that I found the solution on. As far as my sound goes I have sound through my headphone jack but not my speakers. It's driving me nuts I like my sound without having to have on my headphones. I'll try and find that page again about the 3d drivers incase anyone else wants to try it out. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom