Google "Linux" Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is there enough information to actually make a long video for "Installing Software on Ubuntu Linux?"

sudo apt-get install [program]

I tried Red Hat 9 Linux, but i couldnt install Firefox on it. Took me so long to try getting install information.

that seems alot more difficult that Windows. No wonder people are paying $100 for XP on Newegg. And the price is way up in Canada, $150 for OEM.

Are you joking or something? Typing a command and that's it. you dont even have to type it all.

rpm -i fir[tab] enter

That's a LOT easier than mucking through some "wizard" clicking the mouse left and right just to tell it what and where to install, if it does work.

Why is it that programs like Photoshop CS2 take up to 15 minutes to install?
apt-get install gimp

10 seconds later it's ready to go.

I remember when I had to install the scan drivers for my HP scanner. I couldn't just scan something, I had to install a whole suite of useless software that I would never ever use. HP sells unix based computers, but they'll be damned if they can port their Mac drivers to Linux. Anyway, the software took 45 MINUTES to install. In Debian/Ubuntu, apt-get install xsane, 15 seconds later you're ready to go.

So if you like clicking the mouse and running "wizards" and waiting a long time to install terrible software that is unusable then more power to you, go spend 100 bucks on Windows. But I really think that defending Windows in a way that is offensive to Linux, in the Linux section of the forum is just asking to be flamed.

i can't even find Linux distros. Are they free anymore? I can't seem to find torrents of them on the internet.

Can you find me Linux that looks similar to XP?

I think you are confused talldude. Linux is NOT a Windows XP replacement! No Linux looks or wants to look like Winblows. If you don't want Linux, stick with WinXP and leave us alone!

D'oh try typing in their name on google you will get the organizations homepage in most ocassions. Linux shall always remain free, there are http, ftp, torrent files to download from.

There is one Linux that EricB was using that copied the look of Windows XP but Gnome 2.0 is a wonderfull desktop envirorment try it.

Tyler1989 said:
There is one Linux that EricB was using that copied the look of Windows XP but Gnome 2.0 is a wonderfull desktop envirorment try it.
Any distro with XPDE will look like that. I DO NOT recommend it, as it is very unstable and just doesn't like some apps.

BTW, talldude, why were you using RH9? It is now very out of date.

And for yor information Deb>Slack>RH. So if you want to try another distro, I suggest a Slackware or Debian based one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom